My back bracks

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Don, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Don

Don NC Road Biker

Well i rode my bike for the first time this morn.Well i got done and noticed my back brack one side of the pad was touching the tire.I spread them apart and and quit.Well i rode it again for a little ways and it done it again.What do i need to do?adjust?Thanks im a newbie so i need some help!Thanks:D:thumbsup:

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Road or MTB? For v-brakes, it would be spring tension. I don't know about road bikes so much, with their cute little brake calipers.

3. Don

Don NC Road Biker

its road bike

4. Don

Don NC Road Biker

yea what its doin is u apply the brakes and they are not popping back apart when u disengage them

5. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

How old is the bike? Sounds to me like dirty cables.

6. Don

Don NC Road Biker

80's model but it has brand new cables on it

7. mikebike

mikebike Florida Cyclist

if the cables are cleaned and lubed... the next step is to actually clean and lube the brake itself ( not the pads:rolleyes:)

Then loosen the brake bolt (the one holding the brake to the frame)center and re-tighten (not overly tight)

That should do it...

post back if it worked or follow ups questons

8. Don

Don NC Road Biker

ok ill try that and get back with u..could it have anything to do with adjusting the cable itself?that comes down to the brake?Thanks

9. djcyberlegend

djcyberlegend Group rookie

That's a possibility, if the outer cable housing is too long or out of position where it's secured to the frame it could shift the caliper out of position so that one pad contacts the rim constantly.