My Bike Needs Some TLC

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Last_Place_Pete, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Last_Place_Pete

Last_Place_Pete New Member

So I just ended up with a Schwinn Traveler. From what I can tell by the numbers on the badge, it was made in Taiwan in 1983. How, may you ask, did I end up with such a relic? Simple: My Specialized got stolen + found the Schwinn in my dad's garage = now it's mine.

With that said, I'm looking for tips/advice/suggestions on making upgrades to the bike. Obviously I'm not looking to spend big money on such an old bike, but I would like to hopefully rebuild most of it (shifters, wheels/tires, brakes, seat, bars, etc). For a bike that is almost 30yrs old it is in remarkably great shape. Most of the paint is in mint condition, but there is some rust on the exposed chrome parts (ends of the front fork, wheels, some of the hardware, etc). Everything on the bike is original with the exception of the pedals, which I installed today.

Please let me know what you all think, and thanks in advance!!

-Pete

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  2. Tedzo

Tedzo Who put that curb there?

There are no relics...only bikes with storied pasts. Nice find. Sorry about your specialized, that sucks. Keep us posted on the resto.

3. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Much of the rust on the chrome may come off as well. The guys on the vintage forum know these types of bikes like the back of their hands. You might find you like riding it as much as the one that got ripped off. That stinks and a pox on the person that took it.

Bikes of that area are noted for being simple to work on and easy to maintain. I'd change the tires tubes and rim tape just because you don't know their age. Brake pads too might be worth a look and handlebar tape is easy and cheap.

The seat maybe a bit different. What's on there may work. Some people love the Brooks leather saddles on bikes of that vintage. Can't say I disagree but they are a bit pricey. IF you go that route save the original saddle so you can put the Brooks on your next bike.

4. Last_Place_Pete

Last_Place_Pete New Member

@Tedzo: I like where your mind's at. Thanks for the moto! I added a few more pics of the old gal, and I'll be sure to keep updating throughout the resto..

@Mark: Thanks for the advice. I certainly hope I like riding this bike, as it is going to be my daily commuter (not far, about 7mi/rt). I looked into the Brooks leathers, and I do agree that they are quite exceptional saddles. However, I'm definitely looking for something more practical (read: something that I won't cry over if I wipe out). Believe it or not, my goal is to get this bike up to a level where she (and I) can compete in a couple local Tri's.

PS-Still waiting on replies from the folks in the vintage forum.

5. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Well you realize you will be handicapped in a tri, but as long you have fun, that's what is important. As far as practical saddles, there are a lot of options. I'd suggest you just stop in a bike shop and see what you think will fit you well. I'd still keep the original. When you find a good saddle that fits you well, you won't want to get rid of it.

The only thing I can think of that may need more attention is the bottom bracket. I'm not sure about that vintage, but many early bikes had ball bearings that needed to be greased from time to time instead of the sealed units you see today. Don't forget to check all the cables. In general a good cleaning of everything, lubing of everything should tell you what else you might want to do. Most of all you might find riding older vintage bikes a lot of fun. Two bikes in my past I wish I still had. One is my old 20 inch bike on which I learned to ride with the banana seat and the butterfly handlebars. The other was my first ten speed.

I now have 3 must dos on my bucket list. One is ride a top level bike of some make or model. I just want to see what its like to be on a bike that cost more than many of the cars I've driven. Two is to ride a high wheeler. Granted I might bust my (insert the body part of your choice) but I really want to see what it might have been like to be one of the first cyclists. Number 3 I'm working on now.

6. Tedzo

Tedzo Who put that curb there?

What? You've seen my mind? Could you send it to me? :D