My Crank is crunk!!

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Heartless, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Heartless

Heartless New Member

Guys im rebuilding a bike, its a Norco sasquatch. My girlfriends actually.:love: I have built a few bikes but im no pro. here is my question.:(

I have a Husselfelt Howitzer crank, which seems to be on there like a Mother [email protected]#er!!! :hate:The drive side (side with gears) dust cap came off with a bit of force and a hex socket. The non-drive side though is really on there.... :confused:

Cranks i have used in the past require a crank puller, but only after you get behind the dust cap; this one seems like the dust cap is torqued to like 175lbs? :eek:

Help me out im really tired of borrowing out my bike!! haha;)

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

3. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Does your dust cover require a pin spanner or an allen wrench to remove? Some have both. If it's an allen, then no problem. Just use the appropriate allen head socket and wrench and unscrew it.

If it does not have a hexagonal hole in the center to accept an allen wrench, then applying lotsa torque is a bit more problematic. Do you have a spanner wrench? If not, how are you trying to remove it?

4. Heartless

Heartless New Member

Here are some pictures and afew less words. As you can see, the drive side came off ok, but the non-drive side did not; in terms of the retaining nuts. I also noticed the size of allen key i was using could have been tighter; i used a 8mm allen key. Would a non metric size fit better? perhaps there is a 8.5mm? Ok, one more question what park tool will bull the crank off the BB.

Attached Files:

5. hophead

It's kind of hard to tell from those pix, but that looks like old square taper stuff. If so, there is no "dust cap" per se. The dust cap is integrated into the crank bolt which is 8mm (or should be). If it is stripped, you can try a bigger allen head socket or bolt extractor bit. You will, of course, have to replace the old crank bolt.

The Park tool for removal of cranks from a square taper bottom bracket spindle is a CCP-22. If it is ISIS, then use the CCP-44.

6. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

Not a square taper! Obviously an ISIS or possibly an Octalink. In any case that has little to do with the prob. If you have a heat gun (doesn't everyone?) try warming up the crank carefully, avoid the dust cap. Don't overdo it but get it so hot you you wouldn't want to touch it. Spray some WD on the threads and ease it out.

7. hophead

Maybe not square taper, but definitely not Octalink either. Octalink is Shimano. Husselfelt Howitzer is made by Truvative (Sram) so if it is a splined interface, then it's ISIS.

A heat gun may work, but it will also most likely remove the paint/powder coat. Those cranks don't look anodized, but it's hard to tell from those small photos.

8. hophead

Another method for extraction that I didn't mention because it requires a specialized tool is an impact wrench. Not the kind that they use at the tire store, but the kind that you use with a ball pein hammer.

Attached Files: