My EZip - IZip upgrade roundup!

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by DrkAngel, Feb 13, 2010.

1. DrkAngel

DrkAngel New Member

As previously posted, I have never considered the EZip to be an Ebike, rated as "poor", but rather an EAbike rated as "good"!
    EZip ... Electric Bike or Electric Assist Bike - www.EcoForumZ.com
    All of my upgrades have been designed to transform that "good" rating to a "GREAT".

Every enhancement is designed to be:
    1. Simple to perform.
    2. Inexpensive - good dollar to benefit ratio.
    3. Non-destructive to the basic bike.
    4. Designed to maintain the EZip as an Electric Assist bike, (EAbike), not to transform it into an Electric bike, (Ebike).

Best upgrade!
    20mph+ from EZIP 24 volt OEM pack! - www.EcoForumZ.com

Motor freewheel replacement 20T replaced with 16T.
    $20 for parts. $20 for tools, or, $20 labor at LBS (Local Bike Shop).
    Benefits:
    1. 25% higher speed. Base model 16mph, improved to, 20mph.
    (20 mph is the federal "legal" limit.)
    2. Brings motor assist speed in sync with pedal speed capability.
    Detractions:
    1. 20% less torque. Less assist going uphill, but able to get a better "run" at hill.

Most improved speed upgrade:
    E-Zip Mountain Trailz 1000 mile report - www.EcoForumZ.com

24v to 36v conversion.
    $30, for battery, and some wiring skill required.
    or
    $80, approx., for battery, controller & matched throttle.
    Benefits:
    1. 50% speed increase. 16 mph improved to near 24mph.
    2. Very cost effective for early model, - add 1 battery, only!
    3. 1000+ miles achieved on 2 different model, survivability attributed to using pedal assist getting up to speed and on hills, also, typically limited speed to "legal" 20mph!
    Detractions:
    1. Danger of "burning up" motor, overheating.
    2. Later models require controller replacement.
    3. Motor speed exceeds pedal speed
    4. Exceeds Federal "legal" limit, unless, (Pedal Assist System), PAS mode used.

Best peditation enhancement!:
    www.EcoForumZ.com - View Single Post - Changing pedal chain freewheel

Gear pack upgrade, (11-32t freewheel).
    $40 for deluxe freewheel, less than $10 for removal tool, or LBS $?.
    Benefits:
    1. Gives 2 higher speed gears, 28% higher pedal speed!
    2. 1 lower speed, high torque, gear!
    3. Much wider gear range, 3 to 1, as opposed to oem, 2 to 1.
    4. Wider spaced gearing, better for EAbike!
    Detractions:
    1. Can't think of any ... certain hills might benefit from closer ratio?

All 3 upgrades, by themselves, are very nice, combinations are even better, compilation of all 3, brings the EZip, IZip also, into the realm of great, better than, and at a fraction of the price of the "expensive" models!

Only remaining factor needing improvement, ... a better battery system. I have tried to provide affordable, alternative, ideas, examples:
    1. Li-ion battery, made from scavenged cells.
    Home made Lithium-ion Li-ion battery! for EZIP - www.EcoForumZ.com
    2. NiMh battery, more capacity, longer life, lighter and cheaper than new oem pack!
    Build your own 10ah NiMh pack for $120 EZip-IZip - www.EcoForumZ.com
    3. Li-ion - new cells super price!
    $58.20 for 9.6ah 25.9v Li-ion pack! - www.EcoForumZ.com

If you believe that slower is safer, PLEASE visit this link!
    Bicycle Safety - The Math of Speed. - www.EcoForumZ.com

[​IMG] EZip Engineering 101 [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  2. DrkAngel

DrkAngel New Member

32.7 mph EZip!

Just took my first run with my upgraded Mountain Trailz.

EZip #2

Upgraded to 37v Li-ion 1400 miles ago

Just completed 16T upgrade

Replaced 14-28T chain ring with 11-32T

Replaced heavy lug tires with 2.125" all purpose tread tires, also installed Super thick "Slimed" tubes. 5 times the thickness of normal, supposedly capable of surviving most any puncture, 1lb 12oz each!

Complete lube job & tune up, motor had the oem, sparce, gluelike ... grease? Cleaned out and relubed with "Heavy Duty Wheel Bearing Grease" smeared grease, thinly, on concave portion of gear, theoretically, if it overheats from lack of lubrication the grease will liquefy and flow onto gears teeth! ... ?

New brake pads

Took it for 2 test runs:

#1. 2 miles through city traffic. Stayed in center of lane and kept up with traffic, never slowed anyone up. Heading out of city, slight downgrade, I pulled away from the pack, pedal assisting, of course. Checked "top speed" on my on board computer, 32.7 mph! Oops! ... tires are almost a inch taller, have to adjust my computer, rough calculation adjusts to 34+ mph!!!

#2. Just ran back & forth to the store, 2 mile round trip. Averaged about 30 mph, just picked a break in the traffic and slipped in. Was passed by 1 car, paused for the longest time, beside me, trying to figure me out? Run was in the dark.

Yes, my helmet is completed, very nice widescreen mirror, rear 5 led red flashy light and 260 lumen led light mounted on top. Wonderful to be able to put extra light "where I look"!

Mostly the big comfy tires, I think, but it feels and sounds super smooth, like a Cadillac! It even sounds quieter than my Trailz, which has the smooth, "slip & slide" tires.

Of course 30 mph will empty the battery quick, but having the speed, when needed , is very comforting!

Attached Files:

• H01.JPG
      H01.JPG
      File size:
      70.4 KB
      Views:

3. mb9139

mb9139 New Member

I recently performed the dark angel 16t mod. It was fun... The hardest part was taking off the stock freewheel. I had to grind it off the ring, grip it in a vise, and turn it off. I think if you have the tools and commit cutting and vise method may be easiest. I'm looking to do Lifepo4 next. I want to do 36v but Im not sure about a controller/throttle , any Ideas? I have a 2009 Izip Trailz AL. Thanks

4. DrkAngel

DrkAngel New Member

EZip - IZip Compatible Parts

Transferred post from my alternate site, most links should still be good.

A couple controllers listed, please compare connectors to present controller. OEM throttle will work w/36v, but connector might require modification. Might be easier to get matched throttle.

I will try to add, subtract & update items, as available or found! 3/22/10 updated!

24 Volt XLR Charger > Price: $15.00
    TNC Scooters (Scooter Sales and Service)

36 Volt XLR Charger > Price: $16.50

24VDC 2A 3-STAGE BATTERY CHARGER | AllElectronics.com $29.95

XLR Charging Port (3 Pin) > Price: $3.50

3 Pin XLR Plug > Price: $2.50

Thumb Throttle Cable (Hall Effect) > Price: $8.50

36V Controller (Model CT-312C1) > Price: $20.00 (72mm, tight fit!)

36V Controller with 5 Pin Throttle (Model XK-022D) > Price: $35.00

40 Amp 250 Volt AGU Glass Fuse > Price: $1.00

450W GEARED Motor - 24 Volts (Style: MY1018Z) > Price: $60.00

Project item! ... More info ... >www.EcoForumZ.com - View Single Post - Bargains on EZip compatible items!<
    24 - 60 V Controller (Model YK43B) > Price: $60.00

24 VDC 40 A MOTOR SPEED CONTROL > $32.95 each (probable 24-36v)
    24 VDC 40 A MOTOR SPEED CONTROL | AllElectronics.com

24VDC 41MM COOLING FAN | AllElectronics.com

New - 3/22/10
    11-32T freewheel Price reduced! 34$ Includes shipping! $31 "Offer" has been accepted! Buy NOW!
    LONG YIH Co. 7 Speed Freewheel 11-32t - eBay (item 290360097519 end time Mar-14-10 08:44:54 PDT)
    Fresh link to removal tool. $5 includes shipping! Bike Tool by Union - Freewheel Remover -Shimano HG20 - eBay (item 360206782193 end time Apr-09-10 19:39:58 PDT)

1/2 x 1/8 x 16T Left hand Freewheel - $18.99 shipped
    NEW ACS SOUTHPAW FAT 1/2X 1/8 16T LEFT SIDE FREEWHEEL - eBay (item 160364652263 end time Mar-23-10 19:00:13 PDT)

DealExtreme: $8.65 9-LED Turning Signal Lights with Electronic Horn for Bicycles (2*AA)

DealExtreme: $11.99 Flood-to-Throw Zooming Cree P4-WC 3-Mode LED Bike Light with Mount (3*AAA)

New - 3/22/10
    Just found a better headlight than that which I previously recommended. 260 Lumens, low, high & Strobe mode, it zooms from wide, (notice me), to spot, (see road better), with the bonus of red ring for notice by side observers. $13 ... shipped!
    CREE Q5 Style New Version 260 lumen Ultra Bright USPS!! - eBay (item 170419963648 end time Apr-12-10 17:43:44 PDT)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  5. mb9139

mb9139 New Member

Cool... I guess my question now is how do i choose? None of the ones listed ae 100% compatible know anybody whos wired one of these up? I can handle wiring.I just dont know what wires are what for the controller??? Are the only one the "really matter" to throttle to motor and to battery? Orderdered the cree light today too... when it arrives i will post pics!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  6. mb9139

mb9139 New Member

I will post pics, Speeds, and How to Do It for Less than $150 next weekend when I get the rest of my wiring and rack bag, and new speedometer. 36v + 16t = Amazing! Thanks Dark Angel I had the idea about the 36v ezip Scooter Controller , but you gave me more confidence! Ooh the Cree is like te Sun!

7. DrkAngel

DrkAngel New Member

Promised Pics!

2 bikes MT (BLUE) 30 mph capable. Trailz (Black) capable of near 30!

[​IMG]

Picture of my 16T & 11-32T upgrades!

[​IMG]

One of my rack "contacts" "melted" so I decided to rebuild, (black is multi-layered, high density foam).

[​IMG]

Which allowed handy placement of my "home-made" Li-ion pack.

[​IMG]

As mentioned previously, I feel a need for some compromise between the Knobby MT tires and the "smooth" Trailz, so I found these large comfy alternatives. (On the left)

[​IMG]

Quick Pic of my dashboard!

[​IMG]

I like the Air Horn, nice red "panic button", only $1 at local "DollarTree" store.

8. ViBiker

ViBiker Banned

I repaired the DrkAngel links.
    More!!! DrkAngel Threads!
    Many more ideas, project builds with detailed instructions etc.

Attached Files:

• _.JPG
      _.JPG
      File size:
      787 bytes
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  9. ChrisRider

ChrisRider Junior Member

Sometimes its worth buying a ready factory set up electric bike, rather then do a conversion. The conversions dont quite look as sleek and finished as a factory e bike dont you think?

Especially if you want a built into the frame hidden lithium battery. The new technology in electric bicycles have made all the components invisible, making it look like your riding a normal bicycle.