My First Bike Score

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Nigal, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

I scored a couple bikes off of Craig's List today. I got a Schwinn Mirada which is basically a K-Mart bike ($200ish) and a Giant 24" youth MTB.

The Mirana is in OK shape but not great. I'll have to replace the tires which are dry rotted. The best thing is it has simi-horizontal drop outs so I'm going to convert it to a single speed. Pretty much everything but the frame is going to be replaced by the end.

I'm not sure what to do with the Giant as I don't have a kid. I thought about cannibalizing it for parts to swap out on the Schwinn or sell it for parts money.

All in all a great deal for having gotten them for free.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

3. Nigal

4. Industry_Hack

I'm jealous of the Giant. Good find.

5. Nigal

The Giant is really good looking. It's got all the components an adult MTB has just a smaller frame. Any idea what a fair asking price would be? It was around $250-$300 new so I'm thinking $75-maybe $100?

6. Industry_Hack

Hard to say. Where I live, you see crappy bikes with an asking price of $75, but I doubt they get that.

7. Nigal

Meh, I think I'll just find some deserving kid and give it to them. Kind of pay it forward as they say.

8. Industry_Hack

If you were local, I could give you a list of deserving kids, and a handful of cash.

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

That's awesome. Where are you at? There are many places that take bikes and refurbish them for inner city youths.

10. Nigal

I'm in Dayton Ohio. I'll have to do so checking.