My First Century

Discussion in 'Training / Health' started by Angelica, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Angelica

Angelica Guest

I'm doing my first road century in a couple of weeks and I have no idea how long it will take. I plan to go with two water bottles (one just water and one with a sport drink like Accelerade). I will also carry some gels. I figure I can refill at rest stops which I plan to get through quickly. Any other ideas?

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Sounds like you've got your bases covered. Hopefully at one of your rest stops, in addition to refilling your water bottles you're gonna eat some real food. 100 miles is a long way to go on gel & sports drinks.

3. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

ya, you'll need to stop for some actual food sooner or later, but most food at breakpoints are things you can eat on the fly like bananas, granola bars, little peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Then there is always that one rest stop where the people running it decide to order pizza and set it out for the riders...

4. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Yeah, but be careful with the food if it's something you normally don't eat. Don't eat it just because it really sounds good. I have a buddy that did the Hotter'n Hell ride with me down in Texas that had a bad experience because a sausage burrito at the mile 75 rest stop sounded good.

Also, I would give the same warning for pre-ride nutrition. Don't eat something new because you think you need the extra calories for the century. Stick with what you are used to.

5. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Also, I too like the Accelerade. I put an extra two scoops in a small ziplock and mix it up at one of the rest stops.

6. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

Sounds like fun. Just pace yourself and know your limits. The rest stops should have you covered with anything you may need food wise. Let us know how it goes.

7. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

:eek: