Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been about 8 years since I completed a century. I tried last Sunday while on an organized charity ride but self-doubt crept in and I turned around at the 60 mile marker and took the bail out completing 70 miles.

I was upset at myself all week so since I was off Monday for Easter I tried it again. I found that I was much more confident by myself. I started with a long loop that put on 65 miles then when I got back into my "home territory" I did two of my training loops and finished at 101.2 miles.

My other attempts were always on organized rides and I battled fears of getting lost or being a failure and "bothering " the SAG people. Being on my own and in familiar territory gave me the freedom of just enjoying the ride.

Weather was sunny in the upper 80's and breezy, riding time was 6:39...great way to spend a day off.

The post ride beers and cigar (try that at an organized ride!) really hit the spot.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Congratulations! Good job on getting out there on your own and doing it. What were the celebration beers?

I've found that no matter how many I rode the year before, I always have a little self-doubt before the first big ride of the new season. Afterwards, though, it's really a good confidence builder. I hope the weather cooperates so I can get another in this weekend.

·
Who put that curb there?
168 Posts
Nice job! I've got an organized ride coming up that I am nervous about because I don't know the route. It's funny how being in familiar surroundings frees you to explore your limits.

·
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, the beers were only Bud Lites as I was in re-hydration mode, but the cigar was a Macanudo Ascot! Later I had my Guinness.

Still can't believe just how much fun it was...the perfect ride.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Kudos!!

My goal for the end of the year WAS a 1/2 century, but I am confident that will be accomplished waaay before then. I have since decided on making my goal a century ride.

I have never been on an organized ride as of yet, so I will probably be doing it with a few people I have begun riding with lately.

Awesome job and thanks for the post as it inspires me even more.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Congrat's on your ride. I have been riding a year now. My first hundred will be next week end at the 3 state 3 mountain challenge in Chattanooga. Boy, I sure picked a good one to start with. Keep on biking!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts