Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost didn't get to ride any this weekend because of a pile of yard work, but last night around 7pm I told my wife that I just needed to go for a short ride before dinner. Tossed the bike in the back of the truck and headed off to the trail head down from the house. Just did a quick 8 mile ride.

As I'm coming up on the trail head I see one guy laying flat on the concrete trail and his two friends trying to assess his injuries. Moments before, the guy on the ground managed to swerve into the back tire of his friends bike and took a nasty fall. I pulled up and asked if the guy was ok and if they needed me to call for help. The guys hands, knees and elbows were all bleeding from road rash, but at least he was wearing a helmet. After a couple minutes they had him up and it appeared nothing was broken. They said they were ok and thanked me for stopping so I headed off to my truck just 100 yards away.

As I was putting the bike in the back of the truck I was wondering where they parked. The Silver Comet trail is a 100 miles long, it's getting dark and if they parked anywhere other than this trail head, they're screwed because they're at least 4 miles to the next one... and I don't think the one guy was in any shape to be riding.

So I walked back over and asked where they parked. Hole-E-Crap... they parked at the beginning of the Silver Comet trail... 20 miles away. I offered to take one of them to his car so he could come back and get his buddies.

The story is that their wives were out of town so they were having a guys day out bike riding. They live about 30 miles north of Atlanta and wanted to come down and ride the Silver Comet. All probably late 30's to mid 40's. This was their 6th bike ride. They started riding at 2pm (it was 93 degrees yesterday) and had gone 40 miles before the crash. I think the guy was just exhausted. Had they not crashed, that last 20 miles would have been an adventure. Much of that part of trail has a tree canopy over it so when it's dark... it's DARK!

I gave the guy my email as I dropped him of at his car and received an email about an hour later saying that they were safe and on their way home.

·
Bringing up the rear!
66 Posts
Most cyclists seem to be good peeps. I had a flat the other day and I had at least 10 people stop to ask if I need help, patches, CO2, etc. And I was on an old country road.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most cyclists seem to be good peeps. I had a flat the other day and I had at least 10 people stop to ask if I need help, patches, CO2, etc. And I was on an old country road.
The guys were shocked (but grateful) that I was willing to go out of my way to help them, but as I told them, I would hope someone would do the same for me... and I think they would.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts