My homebuilt bike rack

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by snowbird, Oct 16, 2009.

1. snowbird

snowbird New Member

Here's a gloomy pic of the rack I built. It'll carry 2 bikes, the other one behind this one facing the other way. It's a drop in carrier, copied off of Yakima's design.
    It's easy to load except for th fact that it's over my head when on the front of the camper. I loaded this bike with a step ladder. In actual use I'd stand in the bed of the tow vehicle.
    I like this design because the only part of the bike it touches is the tires. For security I'll put a strap around the rim of the rear wheel. If the rear wheel stays in place the front wheel stays locked into it's holder.
    You can't really see it in the picture, but it mounts into a receiver hitch. So if I want to take the bikes without the camper it'll mount to the rear of the truck. It'll be better than throwing the bikes loose up in the bed with a big greasy 5th wheel hitch.

Attached Files:

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

3. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

that looks very clean. I like it!

4. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

5. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Excellent! Looks like a commercially built rack.

6. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

looks good, mig, tig, or braze

7. snowbird

snowbird New Member

mig, then ground all of the welds smooth before I painted it.

Thanks to all for your comments. I'm pretty proud of it, although most of credit goes to Yakima for the design. When I first saw one in a parking lot I just stopped and stared. Ingenious design. So quick & easy and doesn't scrape up your bicycle.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  8. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

Besides excellent work I love the idea you can haul on camper or truck. Nice.

9. snowbird

snowbird New Member