My interest is in cargo bikes

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by wheelburro, Oct 24, 2009.

1. wheelburro

wheelburro New Member

I built this trike. It is fuctional, but is too hard to control. I plan on moving the turning axis forward. Sorry, the page won't upload the jpeg.

2. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

Welcome wheelburro, when you say cargo bikes, is that a bike with an extra long frame so that you can get bigger panniers on the back ???

3. wheelburro

wheelburro New Member

It's a cyclos. There are two 20" wheels in front and a 26" wheel in back. Right now it has a negative turning axis, but I am working on a positive turning axis with an idler arm. I tried compressing a jpeg of the trike, but it didn't work. You can see a pic at El Wheelburro on facebook.

4. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

ok i'll check that out

5. topgun514

topgun514 Guest

i wanna see this. Sounds really cool

6. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

7. wheelburro

wheelburro New Member

I just put a photo of the wheelburro on the new bike page.

8. Ashivon

Ashivon Guest

New member and just saw your picture:love::D

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Wow. How long you been into those?

10. wheelburro

wheelburro New Member

How long?

I've been working on cargo trike design for a year. I'm moving the turning axis forward and putting two wheels in the rear. I'll post a pic when I finish fabrication.

11. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

What do you mean by moving the turning axis forward? Are you moving the front tires out away from the headtube and more forward on the frame of the seat carrier. So they are towards the front corners? Also why are you adding a second rear tire? More weight capacity, or stability.

My wife saw that picture and has decided we are going to get one of those, so she can ride with me. I told her that a nice electra towny or something of that sort would be better for her. She then said no because it looks much more comfortable to sit on a seat while I pedal her around, instead of sitting on the handlebars while I pedal her around. I finally figured out that she doesn't plan on doing any of the work, she just wants to be with me when I ride.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  12. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Looks to me like you nead a canope on that to keep the sun off the baby :D

13. wheelburro

wheelburro New Member

Grape, turnabout is fair play. LOL (Up, down; it's a karma thing.)

14. wheelburro

wheelburro New Member

Wild, the kid seat has one. It flips over the top. I am fitting the cab with one though.

15. wheelburro

wheelburro New Member

New Model of Wheelburro with turning axis in front of wheels.

Here's a photo of a new model of Wheelburro. I changed the turning axis. It's about 4 inches in front of the front wheels. It turns a lot better.

Attached Files:

16. Ashivon

Ashivon Guest

hmmm...looks good to me!
    ...downside, could a 5'3" shortie like me reach the handle bars?

17. wheelburro

wheelburro New Member

Ashivon; No problem, the seat is adjustable and the handlebars are adjustable. You would have no trouble riding this trike.

18. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Nice, are those tubes for fishing poles. I could see turning that into a pier bike. Seat and tackle storage with canopy up front. Poles in the back.. Cruise down the pier and When you get where you are going drop a line and sit in the shade waiting for a bite. I could see you making some money in a niche market with that thing.

19. wheelburro

wheelburro New Member

Grape Ape, Good idea. The tubes are for rakes and shovels and brooms. This trike is being used for gardening at a University.

20. wheelburro

wheelburro New Member

Here's more photos of the Wheelburro.

Attached Files: