My learning curve never ends.

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Skidmark, May 8, 2010.

1. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

I had today off. Bride was working, no comitments except yard work so I donned my riding clothes, loaded up with hydration, cell phone etc. and headed out about 7:30. Beautiful riding for the first 17 miles. Then the brand new front tire went flat. No big as I have attended the flat tire class. Got out my trusty repair kit including tube, leavers, CO2 inflator. With tire on I was hurting my arm slapping myself on the back for a job well done. Ten miles later I hear a slight tick comming from the front. Looking I see a small bulge forming on the side wall! A hundred yards ahead is a turn lane so I opt for the additional space to pull over. Never made it before it exploded. My blackberry decided at that momen to lock up. I walked the bike 9 miles in my socks (that wore through at a mile) to the local Walmart where I bought the wrong size tube (all they had), water, socks. Installed tube, used my last CO2, then rode back, slow. Now whining about the blisters on my feet.

2. pkingfl

pkingfl New Member

Ouch! I had similar experience a few years ago as a newbie but didn't have to walk anywhere near 9 miles...

3. Skidmark

Yeah, the blisters feel better today some but not my pride. Only been doing the road bike thing a month and not used to getting so far out from home alone. Never considered needing more than a tube. Going to LBS today to replace my spare tube and the one in the tire. Also picking up a PATCH KIT, and three CO2 tubes. I am also getting a small hand air pump for riding alone on longer rides. I am also sticking this blackberry up my phone suppliers arse.

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Pump, patches, spare tube, and a better phone.

As far as blisters, when I was in Vegas a few years ago, I walked the length of the strip in my Doc Martens. I drank three bottles of water on the way, and apparently, all that water ended up in the blisters that covered the bottoms of my feet and heels.

5. Hardtail

Hardtail Ridin Dirty

Well that was a bummer!

Road bikes scare me......the tires are to small...lol! I like to ride rough...aka jumping curbs and stuff!

6. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

I thought about the same thing happening to me and wondered what I would do along way off from home. So I called up a taxi service in my area and asked if they would come pick up me and the bike if I needed the ride. They said "sure, we have mini vans we can send to you". I don't know what it would cost, but after read that experience, I don't think I would care.:cool:

7. Skidmark

Mike, I could have called if my phone did not suck so bad.
    Hardtail, I have a trail bike that I love as well. Must say I really love the road bike though. Did my first group ride this week. That really was fun.

Hack, Thanks, got the patches, got a small light pump I can haul in pocket, had a spare tube but got two flats ten miles apart, just waiting for June because Verision sucks.

Rick

8. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

:D On longer rides 2 tubes patch kit pump an a dollar bill in case the hole is big. I fold the bill and it makes a grate tire liner. :thumbsup:
    I found out about the dollar bill thing after a 2 mile walk twice :hate: , and a ride in the back of a pickup after 62 miles on a 65 mile ride :p.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  9. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I had to read this several times before I realized why you were walking in you socks. Ain't road shoes great?!?! Never owned a pair and probably never will.