My May 2014 Gainesville-Hawthorne Trail Visit

Discussion in 'Trail & Ride Reports' started by Charles R, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Charles R

Charles R Paved Trail Enthusiast

I finally made it to the Gainesville-Hawthorne Trail in May 2014. I biked from Hawthorne to Rochelle (8.5 miles). Then I biked from Boulware Springs back towards Rochelle. However due to the steep hills and being out of shape I only did 3 miles. Info has this trail being 15-16 miles long. However the trail goes farther from Boulware Springs heading north towards Jacksonville. That might add 8-9 miles. Also there is no trailhead at the downtown area at SE Depot Avenue. This is a very scenic and mostly rural trail. My full review and lots of photos are on my website.

Attached Files:

2. John_V

John_V Well-Known Member Tavern Member

This is one that my wife and I hope to visit sometime soon. Looks like a great trail to ride. Since my wife rides a recumbent trike, how steep are the hills and how many rollers are there on this trail? I may have to wait until we get her an electric assist wheel before we start doing out of area rides.

3. Charles R

John the hills are steep. Many recreational bikers were having trouble getting up the hills. Even recumbents. You need to be doing some serious speed to get up OK. The hills start about 1.5 miles after you make a left at the Boulware Springs Park trailhead. Good luck.

Attached Files:

4. John_V

John_V Well-Known Member Tavern Member

Thanks Charles! I guess we will have to wait until she gets her electric assist setup on her trike before we do that park or she will never be able to get up the hills.

5. Charles R

It would be better for sure John. Good luck.