Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did this over on Endless Sphere if you want to check their comments. The following numbers are for a theoretical wheel with 36 14 gauge spokes. They are the number of miles you can expect the first 6 spokes to break. 10000 11930 13391 14637 15771 16812 You can multiply or divide these number by any number and get a realistic wheel. For example if your first spoke broke at 1000 miles simply divide each number by 10. This is simply a guideline to design a stronger wheel if your are having wheel problems. Fatigue curves in engineering books tell us if you make a part 10 percent stronger it will last 2 times longer. If you make it 20 percent stronger it will 5 times as long. Good spokes such as DT Wheelsmith Pillar and Sapim are 20 percent stronger than spokes with an S or an N on the heads. Going from 36 to 48 spokes will increase the life of your spokes by around 11 times.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,959 Posts
I just throw a new one in and retention, no calculus needed.....rarely happens and only on 1 of my 18 bikes so not a big deal....and not on any of my alternate lacing pattern experiments either. Just back wheel on 1 bike.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts