My name is SlowRider....

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SlowRider, Jul 21, 2009.

1. SlowRider

SlowRider Guest

... but really "Jen". I was referred to this forum from someone on TeamEstrogen, and so far it looks really like a great place to hang out. I live up at 2000 ft elevation, and drop 1000 ft roughly 3 miles out from my house, so, add to that middle age and a bit o' too much weight ... hence SLOW Rider. I tend to like to put stuff in my panniers as I stop to smell roses at those fine Mountain Vista Spots (or make coffee, have a little picnic, knit a few rows, clip some plants to propogate, or just breath... ).

I live in the mountains north of the bay, in California. Any neighbors here? Just for novelty's sake, I really prefer to ride solo anyway. ;)

I don't care to 'train' for anything in particular, any more, and I'm trying to rediscover what about cycling I use to love so much years ago (before I trained everytime I got in the saddle). It's been some time now since I got in the saddle on a regular basis, and well, I'm hoping to find just the right cameraderie here. I"ve had some miserable experiences on some other bicycle forums, (not TeamEst)... so I'm a little cautious and gun-shy at first.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  2. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Welcome! Glad you joined. What happened on the other bike forums? Bad people?

3. Jimi

Jimi Guest

I like your avatar Jen. And your name reminds me of "Slow ride....take it easy!"
    That's a great motto by the way!
    If you don't mind sharing, what kind of problems did you run into at the other forums? I truely hope you do not encouter them and enjoy your stay here. This is a great place full of good hearted cyclists! Welcome!

4. SlowRider

SlowRider Guest

Oh yeah, just burnout from vastly populated scene at the major hyped ones.. where creeps get in there. I figure that by the look of this place, it's much more relaxed, and the creeps wouldn't be interested ! :D

5. SlowRider

SlowRider Guest

Thanks ! Yeah sure... I know that song ! "SlowRider" also can be sung to the tune of "LowRider" :D:D:D

6. SlowRider

SlowRider Guest

Oh, anyway, I forgot to mention how I use to ride a lot of rugged trails, as well as road, and now I just pretty much ride an old '94 Cannondale rigid ATB, on the roads near my home, with front and rear racks on , killer gearing, handbuilt wheels, and well, I'm still dialing it in.

I have downsized to three bikes. An 80's steel touring road bike , a Specialized Sequoia, my Cannondale above mentioned, and my '94 Trek 8700 atb.

I still want to ride the nice Trek trail bike, as I do enjoy riding trail, it's just that it takes so much fitness and lack of fatness , that for now it is parked. I do keep air in the tires, and brush the cobwebs off now and then. ;) As for the road touring bike, since I pretty much stick to close-in riding on the mountain I live, I just don't see how it will get ridden much. I have become such a hermit, and don't really care to drive-to-ride.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  7. teheber

teheber Guest

how do u like the specialized sequoia

Was thinking of a good road bike for my 12 yr old saw on ebay a specialized sequoia compact and a felt zw2 both looked like her size at 47 and 46.

8. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Welcome!

I too like this site for being a bit more "organic". Everyone seems much more polite, and it's got a friendlier feel.

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I'm creepy but not a creep! welcome.