Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Wabi Cycles Classic as a slightly late birthday gift. I was holding out for the 2010 models, as they new wheels shaved about a half pound off the 2009 model.

Here it is, getting a pedal swap. There was snow on the ground behind me that day. Brrr. Or grr. I need cold weather gear now.

Attachments

·
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was a bit shocked at prices for decent road bikes these days. But the idea of a fixed gear with a flip flop hub appealed to me. Currently, it's set up as a single speed about 80% of the time. I do ride fixed, but since I'm still sorting out seat height and adjustments, it's easier to ride single speed while I tinker.

The handling is awesome. Even though it's a fixed gear, the geometry is much more classic road than track. Since I'm not interested in dicing through traffic, it suits me well.

·
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clean Machine!... you going to cut down the steerer at all?
I just put a Thomson stem on it, and I'm thinking of replacing the headset. The FSA is smooth, but I don't like the looks of that big conical spacer. Once I get that sorted, I'll be able to cut the steerer.

As far as the bike itself, so far, I'm pretty stoked. Twenty years ago, all I rode was steel. I've tried a few aluminum road bikes since then, but the ride has always been too rough. The Wabi website describes the bike as "plush", and that's exactly what it is. I get on it, and feel like I could ride all day, it's that smooth.

·
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice Ride congrats industry hack.
Thank you. I feel like an idiot, since I've made a few changes that have been expensive, but haven't really improved performance. And I can't ride for more than about 20 miles at a time, max. Still have lingering respiratory issues, and it's just too hard to ride with that in sub 40 degree weather. But I enjoy every minute on it, and keep it in my office, so I can admire it.

·
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ugh! I tried to sneak out for a ride, and it's 36 degrees. I got maybe a mile away before I nearly passed out. Still not over the flu/infection.

Back to staring at bikes and tinkering. At this rate, I will replace perfectly good components for no reason at all, other than boredom.

·
Drink plenty of water!!!
328 Posts
I've made the mistake a few times of riding too soon after being sick. Ended up with pneumonia once and then it was a loooooong recovery.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I've made the mistake a few times of riding too soon after being sick. Ended up with pneumonia once and then it was a loooooong recovery.
I've been sick lately and stuck with indoor trainer rides, even though the weather has been warm enough for short rides. I don't want that to happen to me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That is a really cool bike you have:cool: I too have a respiratory condition and after getting over that, there is no way I will ever risk a recurrence :eek:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Single speeds

Hack: Nice machine. Must confess to not being familiar with the make. I like fixed-geared bikes above all others. If all the race world went back to single speed I would be very happy.

Earlier in the thread you described the ride as "plush". What exactly do you mean by this? I own bikes of CF, aluminum and steel. With my eyes closed I cannot tell you what bike I'm riding by its "feel". Aside from different bars and seat angles and heights, etc. I have never felt any difference in frame material. Perhaps I am not that tuned in for this talk of steel being a softer ride escapes me. Can you give me a better idea of what you (and many others) mean by plush or softer ride?

I've raced since I was 15. I'm 52 now and have always done a good bit of cycling. I must be dense.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts