My new shop-built table-mounted work stand

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by mark, Sep 2, 2014.

1. mark

mark Junior Member

This is a combination of ideas I got from other stands online. I MIG welded it up from old bed frames and the main square tubing was a salvaged store display pedestal. The clamp is a standard Pony woodworking pipe clamp with a couple V-grooved wood blocks as pads. It is stationery (no swiveling) and will grip the seatpost after I wrap an old innertube around it. The rear braces will be through-bolted to my 4 x 8 work table (the 2 bolts pictured) and the front edges will just be clamped to the edge with C-clamps. I may end up through-bolting them too, at some point. It's easy enough to just use big wing nuts/washers, though.

It's solid as a rock. Best of all, it was completely built with junk I had lying around-----even the paint! I'll post a pic of it in use soon.

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      50.5 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      59.2 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      57.1 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      83.7 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      94 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      53.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  2. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member Tavern Member

3. Thib

Thib Member

Nice work!

4. mark

mark Junior Member

Thanks. Here's a couple more pics. As you can see by how short the seat post on the pictured seat is, I'll need to get a longer one for one of my bikes in order to use this stand with it! :S I'll probably get a length of 'seat tube diameter' tubing just for use in this stand so I have sufficient length and don't have to worry about marring them.

I added the fictitious 'brand name' to it in vinyl. (of course----I'm in the sign biz!)

Attached Files:

• 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      54.3 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      53.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  5. rynoman03

rynoman03 Well-Known Member Tavern Member

6. wisebike

wisebike New Member

Nice job ... and green, too. :thumbsup:

7. qmsdc15

qmsdc15 Well-Known Member

Looks orange to me.

8. fpl1

fpl1 Well-Known Member Tavern Member

That looks well built. Wish I had the equipment, etc to do one myself. I've been using my hitch mounted bike rack as a work stand for my bike.

9. mark

mark Junior Member

Support your local welding student! ;) I went through the MIG program at the local college and am back there again to try to pass the AWS certification now.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  10. Marna_Kazmaier

Marna_Kazmaier Well-Known Member Tavern Member

Deron, my husband, does this too. Works well for him.....in good weather. <winks>

11. mark

mark Junior Member

A couple pics of my workstand in use holding my current project, the Raleigh Super Record SS conversion. Back braces through-bolted to table with big wing nuts and washers. Not the greatest pics---an uncluttered white background would be nice, but you get the idea. All the main areas of the bike that I work on are at the perfect height for me. I love it!

Origin8 crank installed, new balls and grease and spinning smoooooothly! I wish I had some end caps---I think this is something that should be included with any crankset!

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      65 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      57.5 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg