Two Spoke Forums banner

My new Single Speed

20K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  salvage_bikes 
#1 ·
I just picked up this 2011 Cannondale Bad Boy Solo a few weeks back and wasted no time in swapping it over to Single Speed.

Swapped parts are:
Profile BMX Cranks and Sprocket
Primo BMX Pedals
Salsa Bell Lap Drop Bars
Rennen Tensioner
Odyssey Chain
Odyssey Brake Lever and Cable

Here is my old SS that I just sold to pay for this one
Van Dessel Country Road Bob w/ custom paint

and here is the new ride the day I brought it home

and today with all the swapping done

So far I love it. I plan on beefing up the tire size a little, and trying to find some different levers so I can put the Hydraulic brakes back on it.

See less See more
#9 ·
With that thing listing at around $1000 it baffles me why you would buy it and then take off the Deore components and change so many other things just so that you would end up with a blacked out single speed. There's no question that this is a cool bike but surely there had to be a cheaper and better way to accomplish what you wanted. It's your money of course but I am always in shock and awe at how easily people are separated from their cash. I'm in the wrong business....

#10 ·
First off, it is my business what I spend my money on. I work for a bike shop and I can promise you I did not spend near 1000 on this entire build. In fact after selling the Van Dessel, I have not spent more than 200 out of pocket on this bike.

As long as a person is having fun on a bike, what concern is it of yours how much they spent?

#15 ·
What about it? I liked it because it looked unique. It does not handle any differently and you don't have to pull the wheel to change a flat. It does look pretty wild as your riding it around though.

If you want to see the hub/fork setup disassembled let me know and I can post up some pics

#16 ·
First off, it is my business what I spend my money on. I work for a bike shop and I can promise you I did not spend near 1000 on this entire build. In fact after selling the Van Dessel, I have not spent more than 200 out of pocket on this bike.

As long as a person is having fun on a bike, what concern is it of yours how much they spent?
No need for you to get defensive. I acknowledged that of course it is your money to spend and I said that you've ended up with a nice bike. You started with one as well. It just seems a bit over the top to take a purpose-built expensive brand new bike and change it so drastically. It would be nice to know the thinking behind what you've done, what you are trying to accomplish, and what other SS bikes you looked at before taking the route that you have.

#22 · (Edited)

Have you been offended by this?
Why?

It is anyone own business what question to ask in the public thread in response to the public postings.

It looks odd to me too - get a new Bad Boy and convert it to single speed right away.
And nobody wants to know how much money you make and how much you ready to spend on the bikes in general.
The question is very simple - how much this project would cost.
I'm, for example have a bad boy and 2 SS's and I'm curious what drove you to start this project - hydralics, lefty or just the look of Cannondale?

Bike looks very sick ..BTW
And I like it a lot. If the final cost of the project would be less than the price of new Wabi I would go fo it...

P.S. What is better about it compare to Van Dessel?

#24 · (Edited)
You're comparing apples to watermelons. While this bike and the Wabi are both attractive, the difference in ride quality, weight, and handling are probably worlds apart.
I have Bad Boy but I do not have Wabi. But I have Pinarello single speed ..which is still less money compare to new Bad Boy...

What is SS Bad Boy doing better compare to high-end SS?
Lighter? No.
Handles better on paved road? Why it should be?
Faster? - No...

I understand that long base MTB frame based with hydro brakes bike is a little different from classic road bike and I'm curious where this positive difference is coming from...

BTW.. My Bad Boy is closer to the road bike compare to what we see on first page - road wheels, non-disc brakes (less weight), 700x23 tires... same points of rider-bike contacts as road bike... road cassette and rear derailleur...
But it is still MTB based frame geometry...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.