Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting to get back into mountain bike riding and had planned on buying a new bike this Spring. An unplanned financial bump in the road the other day has put that purchase on hold so on to plan B, resurrecting my 'old as dirt' REI bike. Previously I had deemed it unworthy of throwing money at it, and to bring it back to its previous glory I stand by that decision. However, to get it back to where its simply ride able I think can be done for under $100.

The front shifter had given up the ghost and would only click to the middle chain ring, not the outer. A replacement off eBay for $20 has that fixed. Now if I can just master the fine art of derailleur adjustment :) Between Parks website and YouTube I'll get it figured out.

The crank, chain and cassette all have seen better days but I think a good cleaning will get a little more service out of them <fingers crossed>.

With any luck I'll be able to hit a couple local trails this weekend. Woo Hoo!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mother Nature is *not* being my friend. This past week we've had 60 degree weather. Now that the weekend is here winter has decided to make a comeback. Forecast to be in the 30's with a wind chill in the teens tomorrow. Sunday will be slightly better in the low 40's and sunny so I might try to hit a trail for an hour or so. As out of shape as I probably am in regards to trail riding, an hour might be pushing it ;-)

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Yeah, it's gonna be cold here too. Wind chills to -10 degrees with highs only in the 20s. Clear though until Sunday night when we're supposed to get snow and freezing rain. I did wish for Winter somewhere in this forum, so I guess I can't complain.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did however get the front derailleur mostly adjusted. Moving the chain to the outer ring is a little questionable but won't be spending much time there anyway, at least not on that bike. Otherwise shifts pretty good. Looks a little goofy since I only changed out the front shifter and it doesn't look anything like the old one. It'll get me by (I hope) for a little while.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As requested, here are a couple pics of the old beater. It's a balmy 32 degrees here, but it's sunny and the wind is minimal. I may take it out for a short ride in a few.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just don't have the heart to get rid of it. I'm going to keep my eye on eBay and slowly build her back up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts