My Rasta conversion...Discuss...

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by DirtyBobbysBikes, Apr 16, 2011.

1. DirtyBobbysBikes

DirtyBobbysBikes Rollin Solo like Han...

I'm repainting this bike. Started it today. Going with the same colors, different shades. Keeping that in mind, what would you change? what would you keep? I'm using the same parts, just repainting. More color? less color? I ask because the cranks cleaned up wonderfully and i'm thinking I won't paint them again. They came out so nice infact I was thinking about throwing them on my purple 84 and using my 6500 cranks on the rasta, painted or not. Things like that are always on my mind. Thoughts......

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2011
  2. chibibike

chibibike Banned

what kinda paint do you use? I think one of my gfs would like to paint her bike to purple.

3. Hazy

Hazy Well-Known Member

Did I miss something??:confused:
    I dont see a link to what you are referring to??

4. DirtyBobbysBikes

5. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Those are the kind of paint jobs that I always wondered about. Now I like color, but all you are missing is pink. Well I would do one of two things. Id either find the paint scheme of a classic of the era and mimic that. The other option would be to take it from 1960s Volkswagon Hippie bus to camo. Come to think of it a camo mountain bike to take hunting might not be all bad. :)

6. DirtyBobbysBikes

I have a different bike that has pink. I'm thinkin i'm gonna run raw cranks and lose the green spokes. Make it a little more classic looking i guess, while maintaining the rasta theme. I'm planning to change out a couple minor things like crank arms and the headset for some 105 stuff I have around. The rear wheel may clean up nice and look good. Repaint it or leave it black?

7. georgec

georgec Member

Not real crazy about the paint job but you could sell it to someone from Mexico easy enough.

8. DirtyBobbysBikes

9. georgec

georgec Member

Just paint the yellow white and you have it.

10. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Painted cranks will scuff quickly. That's a terrible color combo for a bicycle, and at least in the photos, the highlights I see on the frame make me think it's a rattle can job that's not super smooth. If you insist on using the same colors, I would do the three main tubes in red, the rear triangle in green, and the seat tube in yellow. Or maybe swap the seat tube and rear triangle colors. Otherwise solid yellow on the frame, and keep the colored wheels.

The problem with a "rasta bike" is to me that is as logical as the Lance Armstrong model Ford F150.

11. DirtyBobbysBikes

I was thinking something like doing the head tube and maybe the lugs attached to it red, yellow top tube and down tube, green rear triangle. Breaking up the lines a little cleaner. Definitely not painting the cranks again. In fact i'll use some older 105 arms I have and leave them the raw aluminum color with the black chainring. I'm working on the frame now, should be picking up paint today. As pictured that paint job had a good 5 years on it. It's actually quite popular around here.

12. nh_district

nh_district New Member

My suggestion would be to fade the colors together instead of hard transitions between them.

I'm thinking some sort of accent in the yellow portion would make it look a little more finished as well. Like some thin black striping design or something. Hard to describe, but that's what I'm envisioning.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  13. DirtyBobbysBikes

I'm thinking I do need to have some black pin striping to break the colors. Would make it pop a bit more. I'm having some decals made too. Probably black.

As for the fade. With the colors i'm using this time it wouldn't really work with all the colors. I could probably fade the green into the yellow if I end up going with my second paint choice. The red i'm using requires a few different layers to come out right.

14. DirtyBobbysBikes

Sprayed the yellow a minute ago. I'll post pics later after I know how far i'm gonna get today.

15. DirtyBobbysBikes

I still need to clear coat the frame, then do the wheels and seat post.

[​IMG]

16. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

Rush rulz!

Oh, nice bike too. 8)

17. DirtyBobbysBikes

18. DirtyBobbysBikes

Added a little more detail that i'm sure no one cares about. ;)

Attached Files:

19. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

Kind of like guy-liner but for a bike. 8)

20. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

What kind of paint are you useing it realy looks good.