Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm almost as happy as I was when I got my first bike, a 24" Schwinn for for my seventh Christmas, that was in 1957. In 1962, my brother and I put a Jacobsen engine in it, Mother was not impressed.

I bought a Haro Reserve 1.1 last Saturday. It is a totally different bike than my Sedona. I'm enjoying the simplicty of the Haro and I'm in the process of adjusting to the different geometry. I'm 61 and I have started riding the Haro just for fun and grins. It is causing me to stretch some muscles that haven't been stretched in awhile (aches and pains), but I like it alot. I'm still riding the Sedona 5 miles or so a day and I'm adding about 2 miles on the Haro.

The Haro will be my winter bike and my off the path ride. I will add a front brake and lower the gearing a tad. I remember last winter's posts on studded tires, I may try the that also.

Now if I can just master those track stands.......

BobH.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Folks,

The Haro will be my winter bike and my off the path ride. I will add a front brake and lower the gearing a tad. I remember last winter's posts on studded tires, I may try the that also.

Now if I can just master those track stands.......

BobH.
I have a new take off mechanical disc brake assembly on the way and possibly a 16 tooth rear cog. Now to find a bit of 410 chain, if I can't I'll just buy a new chain.

The current gearing is 25/12 the new will be 25/16, if needed I slide down to 25/18. I fab'd a wrench for the cog retaining nut yesterday.

BobH.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Folks,

My parts came in yesterday. I got the cog and additional links for the chain installed. The lower gearing is much friendlier. Installing the front brake went smoothly, the big pain was getting those super soft grips off the bars. The front disc brake may have added a pound to the weight ito the bike. It's almost ready for winter.

Now, the track stands are up to me. Hope I don't fall over while standing stil.l ( on the bike)

BobH.

·
Biking With a Mission
159 Posts
Hi Folks,

My parts came in yesterday. I got the cog and additional links for the chain installed. The lower gearing is much friendlier. Installing the front brake went smoothly, the big pain was getting those super soft grips off the bars. The front disc brake may have added a pound to the weight ito the bike. It's almost ready for winter.

Now, the track stands are up to me. Hope I don't fall over while standing stil.l ( on the bike)

BobH.
Awesome to hear Bob!! When practicing trackstanding try to trackstand as long as possible, then pedal forward a few feet to regain your balance and start again. It certainly beats falling! Let me know if you need any more pointers :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice looking bike
Hi there IHATEICECREAM,

I'm really enjoying the Haro 1.1, I'm getting more sure of myself day by day. I've made some more changes on it. I've added a front disc brake and lights.The short seat post has been replaced by a longer one and I now have a Haro Homestead seat with springs on it. The rear cog is now 16 teeth instead of 12. The seat and brake were new dealer take offs and very attractively priced.

I ride it about 4 to 5 miles a day in addition to the miles that i put on the Sedona. I keep about 70 psi in the Haro's tires. Track stands are better, they now last longer than the blink of the eye.

I have a 29'' inseam. I considering going to 165MM crank arms for more confort and a higher cadence. Have any of you had success with shorter crank arms?

BobH.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey BobH,

Just noticed a couple things about where u are from. We are neighbors, and the town is the name of my youngest boy!! OK thats done. I was wondering more teeth in the rear cog will easier pedaling??? Less torque right. I am pretty new to the science of biking crank arm length number of teeth stuff like that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe I can answer this in sections.

Hey BobH,
noticed a couple things about where u are from. We are neighbors, and the town is the name of my youngest boy!! OK thats done. I was wondering more teeth in the rear cog will easier pedaling???

Yes, pedalling will be easier, more teeth on the rear cog will lower the distance traveled per turn of the crank. But it will increase the torque that can be applied to the rear wheel. Less torque will be need to turn the crank,,, unless the crank arms are shortened.. The search is on for a set of 165MM cranks to fit the Haro Reserve1.1

IHATEICECREAM come on down to Allenville and take the Haro for a spin!

BobH.

I am pretty new to the science of biking crank arm length number of teeth stuff like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts