Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It bores me to death and hurts me. I have named it Lucifer and I think I need to hang a crucifix from it and sprinkle it with Holy Water.

That is all:D

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
That's ok, I hate my trainer and it has just become a dust collector. Rollers sound much more interesting to me now and actually I just got an old used up MTB that I love riding in this weather :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
I actually just bought a trainer. While I haven't figured out it's personal feelings towards me I have discovered the serious amount of boredom it provides me with. I've tried movies, music, and the interwebz. Nothing, I finally managed to spin for about 45 straight minutes yesterday, but with little motivation it wasn't a fantastic workout. That and the fact that I basically have to wait for my downstairs neighbors to leave before I can use it, I'm starting to wonder if I should have put my money elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I guess I'm weird (but we all knew that, right?) cause I don't mind riding the trainer. I just crank up some Metallica, put my head down and pedal. But like Rola said, the mountain bike is a better workout and WAY more fun. I rode 5 1/2 miles of single track yesterday and for the first time in months I had sore legs this morning.

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have tried everything....music.....movies......nothing....watching my laundry spin, al to no avail. I have recently started watching pro cycling on youtube, which is only slightly better. I may, actually, be tempted to buy some spinnervals or sufferfest videos, and I do not really want to do that kind of training. Grrrrrr!!!

Hey dubigel, did you ever try some sound barrier material for under your trainer....like that Homasote 440 sound barrier I (think I) told you about? It does its job.

Cheers,

Brian J.

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I'm weird (but we all knew that, right?) cause I don't mind riding the trainer. I just crank up some Metallica, put my head down and pedal. But like Rola said, the mountain bike is a better workout and WAY more fun. I rode 5 1/2 miles of single track yesterday and for the first time in months I had sore legs this morning.
I live in Canada and, this winter notwithstanding, outdoor cycling is usually difficult. I also do not have much in the way of cold weather cycling gear, which is something I am finally going to look into this year.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I bought the trainer and used it a couple of times very boring, this year I invested in gore wind proof jacket, under amour tops and bottoms, gloves, balaclava I have been out in 23 degrees and feel fine. The trainer just holds the bike now lol.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Brian, No I hadn't bought it yet. I remember hearing about something like that, but haven't researched it at all. I have a few moving blankets I'm thinking of trying while my credit card recovers.

Thought I might try watching laundry spinning lol, that's a good one.

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Front loading washers rule!!!:D.

I used to use Homasote 440 under my carpets and it did quite nicely. You would probably need only 1 sheet (it usually comes in 4'x8' sheets but it is easily cut.

·
Recreational and Utility Rider :)
243 Posts
I'd love to give up my trainer, (known as K'TD or Klingon Torture Device) BUT, we live in a 3rd. floor apt. and there's NO WHERE I could wash off the ice, crud, mud, etc. off a "beater" bike without trashing the apt.! So if it's icy or if there's 40+ mph cold winds (been a LOT of that this FEB.), I'm delegated to the "Trainer", thank heaven for "i-pods"!! ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well I've solved one problem with my trainer (I think.) I got some of that homasote stuff and it doesn't seem much quieter in my apartment but the neighbors haven't come to the door bearing pitchforks yet, so I'm guessing it's quiet enough down there. It is much more stable than moving blankets so that's a plus.

Still haven't solved the entertainment issues yet. I'm worried I'll have to get some sufferagist videos too :( what was that line from S#@! cyclists say, "Do you sponsor people?"

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Homasote is designedt so that peoplle in other rooms, or on other floors, do not hear as much noise as before, not to make it quieter in the room you are in so it is doing its job. I thought it might work for you.

As far as trainer entertainment goels, I actually bring my laptop down to the basement and watch race videos while I am riding. I go on youtube and download whatever long-ish (45+ mins) vids I can find...and there are plenty. A few of my favourites are, ":Tour de France, Hell On Wheels" (German with subtitles) which is an insiders view of the tour from the perspective of the German Telekom Team of Erik Zabel and Rolf Aldag. "Stars And Watercarriers" about the Giro di Italia" and the classic "A Sunday In Hell"_ about Paris-Roubaix. They really help me pass the time....such as it is.

Cheers,

Brian J.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts