Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Paved Trail Enthusiast
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In anticipation of my planned June 2012 bicycling adventure to the 13 mile section of the historic abandoned original Pennsylvania Turnpike (opened in 1940 and closed in 1968) I bit the bullet and bought two headlights and a back light. Because of the three tunnels on the turnpike, headlights and a helmet are required safty items. One tunnel is 2 miles long, and if you stand in the middle of it, you will see no light at either end. Total darkness. So a good light is crucial for your obvious safety. You can see more info on my website link below.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
A two mile tunnel on an abandoned highway? Are you the same guy that fears urban bike paths and camping!? :D

I'm not suggesting such fears are unwarranted, several bikers have been attacked on the bike paths I frequent. I applaud your courage to ride through that tunnel. It sounds scarier than sleeping in a tent to me!

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
A two mile tunnel on an abandoned highway? Are you the same guy that fears urban bike paths and camping!? :D

I'm not suggesting such fears are unwarranted, several bikers have been attacked on the bike paths I frequent. I applaud your courage to ride through that tunnel. It sounds scarier than sleeping in a tent to me!
Sounds like a two mile sprint to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts