My user name says it all

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by fatandslow, Aug 14, 2009.

1. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

I'm a born-again cyclist from Colorado. Sold my motorcycles to deal with the fallout from the recession, and bought a bike. It was more fun than I thought possible. I am a recreational cyclist, not a hair-afire evangelist. I do 2-3 20-30 mile rides per week, gradually increasing distance and frequency. I ride a Kona phd with a Brooks saddle ( I'm 230 lbs. so no break-in necessary), a rack, and a stem extension so my hands are at a** level to keep them from going numb (in addition to fatandslow, I'm also old, or at least feel it). Used to ride alot when I was younger, although never competitively, but got away from it as time got squeezed by life. Now I'm funemployed and have nothing but time.

2. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Welcome! What area of Colorado you at?

3. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Colorado is sweet! I was just out there last month. I'm headed back to Denver at the end of the month. Awesome riding out there!

4. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

Aurora/Denver

5. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Hi fatandslow I am faterandslower, 5'10" and 244 lbs And 64 1/2 years old. I ride 10 miles every day just about and I have not droped a # .

6. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Fatandslow nice to have you here. Since wild came in here and started it by saying he is fatterandslower, I better get in on it and claim fattestandslowest, 6'2" 300 lbs and laid up on the couch with a broke foot. Soon I will be fattestandoffthecouch but for now I think I win.

My uncle lives in Littleton, back in 85 I spent the summer at his place up in Deer creek canyon area. I had a nice road bike then that I rode the canyon regularly. I would ride to the top and coast back home. Even made a few trips down the canyon to Chatfield Lake and ride around it then back up the canyon to the house. That was some nice riding back then. I put some major miles on that bike that summer.

7. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

My son is going to school in Colorado. I'm a wee bit jealous of that.

As long as you're doing your 2-3 rides each week, and trying to increase distance, you should throw some intervals in at the end. Push hard for a minute, rest for 4, then push hard again. A proper cool down period is important too. Keep that up, and your 20-30 mile rides will get progressively faster.

8. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

I've lost maybe 10 lbs. but would lose more if I ate less and drank less scotch.

9. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

Thanks for the advice. I don't really care that much about my speed, except to the extent that it reflects my conditioning, although I admit to checking my avg speed on my cyclometer.

10. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I like the story about the 93 year old whose doctor tells him to cut back on steak and Cuban cigars...

11. livendadream

livendadream Guest

HAH! I too am chubby and moderately paced. Although since I have started riding again I can see my toes, I try not to get near scales that often and I like beer that you can taste= calories. Anyway read my new member thread, it sounds kinda like yours. Colorado rocks for beer, mountain biking, four wheeling. I just got back from Vallecitos lake near Durango . The lake trails are awesome. I thought I lived in God's country , but I think your smack dab in the middle of it. Welcome brother. J:)