Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a born-again cyclist from Colorado. Sold my motorcycles to deal with the fallout from the recession, and bought a bike. It was more fun than I thought possible. I am a recreational cyclist, not a hair-afire evangelist. I do 2-3 20-30 mile rides per week, gradually increasing distance and frequency. I ride a Kona phd with a Brooks saddle ( I'm 230 lbs. so no break-in necessary), a rack, and a stem extension so my hands are at a** level to keep them from going numb (in addition to fatandslow, I'm also old, or at least feel it). Used to ride alot when I was younger, although never competitively, but got away from it as time got squeezed by life. Now I'm funemployed and have nothing but time.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Colorado is sweet! I was just out there last month. I'm headed back to Denver at the end of the month. Awesome riding out there!

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Hi fatandslow I am faterandslower, 5'10" and 244 lbs And 64 1/2 years old. I ride 10 miles every day just about and I have not droped a # .

·
Younger than Hack
746 Posts
Fatandslow nice to have you here. Since wild came in here and started it by saying he is fatterandslower, I better get in on it and claim fattestandslowest, 6'2" 300 lbs and laid up on the couch with a broke foot. Soon I will be fattestandoffthecouch but for now I think I win.

My uncle lives in Littleton, back in 85 I spent the summer at his place up in Deer creek canyon area. I had a nice road bike then that I rode the canyon regularly. I would ride to the top and coast back home. Even made a few trips down the canyon to Chatfield Lake and ride around it then back up the canyon to the house. That was some nice riding back then. I put some major miles on that bike that summer.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
My son is going to school in Colorado. I'm a wee bit jealous of that.

As long as you're doing your 2-3 rides each week, and trying to increase distance, you should throw some intervals in at the end. Push hard for a minute, rest for 4, then push hard again. A proper cool down period is important too. Keep that up, and your 20-30 mile rides will get progressively faster.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice. I don't really care that much about my speed, except to the extent that it reflects my conditioning, although I admit to checking my avg speed on my cyclometer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
HAH! I too am chubby and moderately paced. Although since I have started riding again I can see my toes, I try not to get near scales that often and I like beer that you can taste= calories. Anyway read my new member thread, it sounds kinda like yours. Colorado rocks for beer, mountain biking, four wheeling. I just got back from Vallecitos lake near Durango . The lake trails are awesome. I thought I lived in God's country , but I think your smack dab in the middle of it. Welcome brother. J:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts