Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a very unusual ride last night that I hope never to do again. I was out with a couple guys riding some single track that runs parallel to a local paved bike trail. One of the guys asks if we'd been to the copper mine that was just off the trail ahead. I had not so we detoured off the trail and got on a double track that looked like it had a decent amount of 4-wheeler traffic. We're flying down it and I hit a patch something that was very slippery. No idea what it was but I almost went down. When we stopped at the copper mine, we're standing there checking out a hole in the ground and one of the guys says dude, you've got poop all over you. Apparently what I ran through was a spot where someone had dumped a porta-potty. Yeah... I was officially having a sh!$%#tty ride. About 2 miles away was a gas station so I made a bee-line to there and used their water hose to basically take a shower in their parking lot. Totally soaked from head to toe the bike and I were reasonably clean.

I got home and took a real shower and have to do the same with the bike tonight. As Rola said last night, 'NASTY'.

·
Two skinny J's
21,186 Posts
OMG... I think i just threw up a little just thinking about that....Holding back on the gag reflex were ya ?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OMG... I think i just threw up a little just thinking about that....Holding back on the gag reflex were ya ?
The only thing that saved me is that I guess it had been there a while so the smell had mostly gone away... mostly. But the thought of having poo on my pretty much freaked me out.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Had almost the same experience last night except it was me with stomach pains thank god I was near a little league field that had a porta potty or I might have been covered in my own you know what. I also never want to experience that again.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the bike has been thoroughly soaked down with industrial strength cleaner and is once again spotless and ready to go riding in the morning.

That is unless I go down stairs in the morning and discover that the cleaner melted my bike into a puddle of goo. It was some seriously strong stuff.

·
1,200 Posts
your a stronger man than me poolie.. lol i prob would have lost my breakfast, lunch, and dinner right there!!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it stayed clean for a half day. 21 miles in the muck today. At least this time it's good ol Georgia mud.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Poolie said:
Well it stayed clean for a half day. 21 miles in the muck today. At least this time it's good ol Georgia mud.
But no poo so yay.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At one point this morning going through a sharp muddy corner the front tire slid sideways about 18 " and I have no idea how I managed to keep the bike up upright. At that moment there was almost a deposit of poo :)

·
348 Posts
(oops hit send too soon. Try this again)

Why would anyone in their right mind empty or dump sewage ON A TRAIL!!!!!!!!???????

Could they not have conjured up enough brain cells to dump the crap even a foot or two off the trail? That said, that's probably not even legal, there have to be certain protocols and prescribed disposal locations and I'm sure a public park/wilderness area is not one of them.

Poolie it won't make a difference for your situation but it might not hurt to report it. Whatever agency governs those things may want to know of illegal dumping.

Sorry you had that happen but glad you weren't hurt, just slimed.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,136 Posts
Poolie,

WOW, you weren't exaggerating about the ride! More than horribly revolting, that can actually be dangerous from the standpoint of infectious disease. Though that is less likely given the way you handled it, in your shoes I might be interested in talking to a doc and maybe having some screenings done. Might also be worth reporting, depending on who controls the land you were on. I, too, hope that never happens to you again...or to any of the rest of us! Yuck :eek:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Poolie,

WOW, you weren't exaggerating about the ride! More than horribly revolting, that can actually be dangerous from the standpoint of infectious disease. Though that is less likely given the way you handled it, in your shoes I might be interested in talking to a doc and maybe having some screenings done. Might also be worth reporting, depending on who controls the land you were on. I, too, hope that never happens to you again...or to any of the rest of us! Yuck :eek:
Yesterday I wrote a long reply to DChapman's post but when I hit submit the internet monster ate the reply. But to summarize, word has it that some local ******** like to hang out at the copper mines to drink and whatever, and the though is that they probably stole a porta-potty and dumped it as a deterrent to anyone else. I stopped by the sheriff's office yesterday and told them what happened and they said the EPA was not going to be pleased with someone dumping sewage. We have a good police dept so I don't think my it go on deaf ears.

I also tossed a perfectly good pair contact lenses on the off chance that something got into my eye. I'm pretty sure I did about as much as you can do to prevent catching anything.

·
Two skinny J's
21,186 Posts
I also tossed a perfectly good pair contact lenses on the off chance that something got into my eye. I'm pretty sure I did about as much as you can do to prevent catching anything.
Oh man! I never even thought about that! GOOD CALL!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Oh that's nasty, bummer!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts