Two Spoke Forums banner

My windsock

5K views 60 replies 10 participants last post by  lectrichead 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 ·
What this shot doesn't show is the 43% cross wind time we enjoyed which was just plain scary yesterday.

Reactions: fpl1
#7 ·
No app, just a web site and yes all the color codes are at the bottom. There are TONS of ways to view your ride as well. They want mo money to see a lot of them :D

Reactions: fpl1 and superj
#6 ·
the colored band on the bottom of the pic tells you which direction the winds in the map are going. it says tailwind, over the light blue section, crosswind over the blue/violet section, and headwind over the red section. that corresponds to the colors on the ride map

#8 ·
You should come ride in my area at this time of year. Anywhere you go there's strong winds, especially at Flatwoods (often referred to as Windwoods). It's pretty much a daily occurrence to start your ride in 6-7 mph gusts and end up with 25-30mph winds/gusts in about an hour or so. It's another reason why I'm loving these ceramics so much.

#10 ·
I thought specifically about you when I posted that @John_V :D

Reactions: fpl1
#14 ·
Don’t get hung up on prices of the popular ceramic bearing manufacturers. Almost every article that’s written about ceramic bearings tends to compare products to Ceramic Speed. They’re excellent bearings but way overpriced. You can do some research on them and find other companies that offer Grade 5 ceramic bearings with titanium nitride coated races and cones for 1/4 of the cost.

The company where I got the ceramic BB for my wife’s trike is in Texas . They make their own products and are very inexpensive. Her BB ran me $75 (including S&H). Their jockey wheels were only $50. I bought her jockey wheels before I found this company and could have saved another $50.

If you’re a slow rider, they really won’t make you any faster but they will make pedaling a breeze; especially on hills and riding into headwinds. In windy conditions, they allow me to maintain a constant speed (faster than without them) and not wear out my legs. You can even ride longer without feeling it in your legs. That’s the main reason I went to them. I’m too old to worry about going fast all the time. [emoji1]

#12 ·
Reactions: lectrichead
#21 ·
I kind of found them by luck while looking for a square taper BB with ceramic bearings for my wife's trike. I did a Google search and they didn't show up (at least not on the first page) but a day or so later I did a Bing search and there they were. They were the only place I found that had square taper ceramic BBs.

Reactions: superj
#23 ·
Funny, I look at that map and think OMG, how hot and muggy that must be in July :D

#31 ·
#32 ·
Not that the wind was but so bad as it pretty much stayed under 13 mph and avg. 9 mph but dang man... more than 1/2 the ride in some kind of head wind....Almost every solo ride I've done this year has been this way.

On one segment I ride my PR os 7:47 and today was a tic over 9 minutes, just wore out. Not enough miles this week. Parents are here from Texas visiting for my granddaughters 1st birthday this coming weekend
Product World Azure Organism Purple

#34 ·
Our wind comes at us from every direction. Mostly it’s from the Gulf or the Atlantic. Since there’s no mountain range to break up the wind, the gusts are usually consistent and they seem to never end. I have to say, it’s been really different riding in the wind with a full ceramic drive train. Really makes it much easier on the legs. The biggest thing I deal with now is getting my lightweight butt tossed all over the road in strong crosswinds.

#36 ·
As I ride on the road, most folks don't seem to understand, or maybe don't care, that they suck the air right off of us and suck you into traffic when they pass close. I can totally understand the side draft effect NASCAR drivers feel.

Oh and yea, even if the weather app say a SW "breeze" it always seems like a head wind. To be honest I'd ALMOST rather ride into a headwind ( if I can't have a tailwind pushing me ) than battle the unpredictability of the cross winds.

Riding in-between bays and rivers the winds are always crashing into each other around here as well. When I ride parallel to the North river it's one direction and then I turn up and parallel the East river it's a completely different direction.

Reactions: superj and John_V
#35 ·
Man...1% or so less time in the wind than yesterday BUT much bigger winds and worse gusts blowing me all over the rad this morning. I'm going to the mountains to learn hw to climb with @Dos_Ruedas :D

World Organism Slope Font Magenta

#37 ·
our wind blows the same direction all year long, which ever way I have to fight to come home. but, its better to have wind to keep you cool than no wind and die of heat.

we rode the marathon course this weekend, with the runners. the whole way from the island to the finish was a tail wind and I felt like I was dehydrating just coasting. it felt so nice to turn around and have a head wind to cool you off when we turned for home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.