National Bike Challenge

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by qmsdc15, May 2, 2020.

1. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

FYI, today's ride appears to have gotten itself double counted. I deleted 1 of the 2 rides on the website in order to reflect today's actual mileage of 24.1mi.

Heal fast, Q. I thought of you today, especially after the one water crossing where I thought for sure I was going to take a bath.

John_V likes this.
  2. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

Q, praying for a speeding and low pain recovery.

I’ll sit it out this year.
    With my road bike in lockup, I’m just not putting in the miles.

newleaf150, John_V and rola643 like this.

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Ouch. I cracked a rib once. Just one. It only hurt when I moved, breathed, or blinked. Let's hope you heal quickly.

4. newleaf150

Bad news: I appear to have caught a mild case of Covid-19 back in April. Symptoms were so mild and transitory that I had no idea I was 'sick' with anything but pandemic paranoia until I began to have trouble breathing some three weeks later.

A Covid test came back negative, but I was told that based upon the timing, my breathing, and lack of any history of lung trouble, I'd probably been infected and gotten over it before ever being tested.

The lung thing appears to be an after effect which hangs on longer in some, less in others. I've been using an albuterol inhaler 3 times per day since May. More recently an oral steroid was added.

Based on my doctor's advice that I was not contagious, I kept riding. Trying to, at least, The problem is that even with the inhalers, I just can't get enough air a lot of the time. Totally different sensation than hitting a cardio limit.

It gets worse when air quality drops, which is why I've barely ridden this month: in addition to a string of ozone alerts, we now have no less than 3 major wild fires burning somewhat nearby. Air quality is at the 'chew before swallowing' point. I'd frankly think twice about riding with healthy lungs. As it stands now, cycling outdoors is just not a reasonable option for me.

Sorry, all. Hopefully conditions will change sooner than later.

John_V and rola643 like this.
  5. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

I cannot "Like" this post. Really sorry to hear about your situation, hope everything goes as it should.

6. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

Well that totally sucks!! Hope the respiratory problems don't linger and you're back on the bike soon.

newleaf150, Dos_Ruedas and MilesR like this.
  7. lectrichead

lectrichead Well-Known Member

ONG, that's terrible. Hope you are heading toward recovery.

8. fpl1

fpl1 Well-Known Member Tavern Member

Yeah. Sorry to hear that. Hope your getting over it soon. I have a cycling buddy who got it back in may. Similar stuff. It took him almost a month to get his lungs and conditioning back. He’s definitely 100% now based on how he’s been riding.

John_V and MilesR like this.
  9. newleaf150

^^Thanks for the well wishes, everyone! I hope things improve soon. I've never had any sort of chronic breathing issue before now. It's scary how much two puffs of an inhaler can change everything about the way I feel. I find it much easier to empathize with those afflicted with asthma and similar conditions.

I may have the chance to travel to a location with good air quality later in the week. If so, I hope to log some miles. The Challenge has been a wonderful motivator to get out and ride this season, despite my difficulties. I miss the saddle a lot.

Thanks again for the support. Stay safe, stay well, and if you can, stay in the saddle!

John_V, lectrichead, qmsdc15 and 3 others like this.
  10. qmsdc15

qmsdc15 Well-Known Member

So sorry newleaf. I'm hoping your condition improves. Want to say praying but I'm not a religious man.

11. newleaf150

No worries, Q. I'm not religious either :). Nevertheless, I appreciate your support.

John_V and MilesR like this.
  12. qmsdc15

qmsdc15 Well-Known Member

Well I heard a report that lung damage from Covid appears to be reversible. I hope you are breathing easier. :)