Need advice picking a bike, please

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by AngieM, Apr 15, 2010.

1. AngieM

AngieM New Member

I've narrowed down some preferences below and since I know I can't get them all on one bike, what do I do?

A throttle-control, because I like that it's like my moped and can do all the work, but I can also pedal more as I get in better shape to do so.
    (Is throttle-control noisy?)

●―14 inch frame fits me just right. I have a difficult time getting onto anything larger.
    ●―Definitely a step-through.
    ●―Less than 50 pounds overall weight.
    ●―NO fat tires
    ●―Handlebars that aren’t too straight, don’t have to “lean over” too much.
    ●―A LifePO4 battery... several bikers convinced me they're the best.

Don't like the idea of a kit, unless there's some hard-core convincing it's a better way to go. Right now I'm not convinced it is.
    Any suggestions, help would be ENORMOUSLY appreciated.

AngieM

2. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

3. AngieM

AngieM New Member

Thanks, but all Pedegos have FAT tires... I'm not sure yet if I would like them. So far I don't, but someone told me they give a better ride. I'm still confused.

4. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

The tires that come on the Pedego may be fat, but they look like they'll roll pretty well. And if they don't, there are ALL kinds of alternatives out there that will fit those wheels. Anything from a 1" wide Ritchey Tom Slick or 1.25" Specialized Fat Tire Crit, a 1.5 Kenda Kwest or Maxxis Xenith, all the way up the 2.25" Intense Micro Knobby. All roll VERRY well!

Don't disqualify a bike based on ONE factor.

5. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Given the weight of electric-assisted bikes, I'm sure most manufacturers lean towards wider tires.

6. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

I would think the same. but you could put on a nice set of smooth tires to help with any added slowishness

7. AngieM

AngieM New Member

I am appreciating all comments. I print them out and put them in my notebook because they all help in my decision and in changing my mind about things that I'm still not certain about.
    I'm getting so many opinions and different ways to go, and I'm feeling next year or soon there will be improvements in ebikes by leaps and bounds and I'll be stuck with a bike I wish I hadn't bought in haste.
    Like computers, 'y know, technology changes so fast, the ones we buy are almost obsolete in months (weeks, even).... this is an interesting, but frustrating adventure and all your help and input is much appreciated.

8. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

The obvious solution is an abacus and a single speed. ;)