Need Bike Recommendations

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Brewtaster, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Brewtaster

Brewtaster Guest

Hey guys, Ive been using my old roommates crappy mountain bike these past few months, but am looking to get a new, actually decent bike. Im debating between the practicality of a hybrid, or just a straight up road bike. Are road bikes easier to pedal and decent in the city? The mountani bike i have now has fat tires and seems like it shouldnt have to be so hard to push myself around.

That being said, I live in Canada, Would like to spend less than 600 bux, and am a big dude (6'2, 280 pounds). Help me out guys!

2. SteveM

SteveM New Member

I have a hybrid and I like riding it - it is more upright than a road bike, able to do "non-technical off-road stuff, and cost me about $350US. I think they are a bit more now - it's a Trek 7200 - the features and hardware have been improved since I got mine. I would try a test ride. They are not perfect as either 100% road or 100% off-road but they are good for urban riding and can keep up pretty well on bike or multi-use trails of any kind.

By the way, I'm about 6'5" and 220, and it has held up fine - I've had it maybe five years or so.

3. Brewtaster

Brewtaster Guest

CCM Presto 700C Road Bike | Canadian Tire

Any comments, suggestions etc on this for a starter bike? Im a student so money is tight, hence the shitty bike, but would it be enough to last me 2 or 3 years til I start making proper money?

Cheers guys, thanks for the help!

4. livendadream

livendadream Guest

Brew, buy a mountain bike and put slicks on it for road riding! I told someone on another thread for $700 they could build a $2500 bike just by surfing e-bay and craigslist. I did just that, so for $600 you could score a sweet ride. Build it yourself or do the easy stuff then take it to the bike shop and have them put it together, they should not charge to much. Just a thought, J.

5. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

I wouldnt buy it. Go to a bike shop first and check out some of the options they have even if you dont buy from them. Hybrids are a lot more versatile, so are mountain bikes, but road bikes are for road only. I would say go hybrid or mountain bike with semi slicks.