Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I joined the forum because I have a little problem, or a big one we'll see.
I'm trying to find a seat post with quite a bit of setback, Ideally I would like to get to about a 70 degree seat post angle.

I have limited range of motion in my right knee, it only bends to about 90 degrees so sitting farther behind the bottom bracket allows me to make a comfortable pedal rotation.
I currently ride an old Schwinn (1974 continental) with a layback bmx seat post that gives me what would be a 70 degree seat post angle, anything more than that and I end up having to slide back in the seat to pedal.

I want to upgrade to a newer lighter road bike, but given where I am coming from I'm not worried about the weight of the seat post.

Any suggestion is welcome, I just don't really know whats out there.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I ran into the same problem. The only ones I could find were an arm, leg and and eye tooth. I wasn't willing to spend $200+ to get a seat post to maybe get a $400 bike where I could ride it. Yet I wanted to keep the bike, so I made one.

I took a $20 aluminum seat post from Performance Bike, and a neighbor had a pipe bender and bent it back as much as 4 inches. Course when you make one change, there usually is a need for another. This one was no exception.

When I put the seat on it I had a saddle no guy would ride. I had to grind down the metal inside the slot to allow the saddle to pivot to a rideable position.

With the pedal rotation sorted out, I tried to ride the bike then the handlebars were in the wrong position. I rotated them up and I have a bike I can ride now. Took some time and wasn't a project for someone that isn't handy. You also need to use common sense. What I did worked for me but if I had to go back much further Id weld some bracing on to be sure.

If you decide to do it, be careful and think everything through before you start. I wouldn't do this with the post that came with the bike. That way you can always go back. In my case I couldn't. The original seatpost was carbon fiber

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does anyone know anything about the look ergopost 4, I've seen a wide range of offset specs, does anyone know how far it actually can go back?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah but the really offer almost no set back 16mm is the most i've seen on any of theirs, i'm looking for 40mm or greater.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that is about the most set back i've found with out going to a steel beach cruiser, braced lay back post (an absolute last resort). I've seen some people quote the look ergopost 4 as having 60mm which seems outrageous but I'd pay a pretty penny for that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looked into a Hase Trike once but they are so much more expensive, and I think I would feel a good deal safer on the roads on the standard upright, since I commute on city streets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts