Need help identifying a Cannondale model

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by skribnod, Nov 1, 2009.

1. skribnod

skribnod New Member

Hi all, I am new to the forum and was hoping some of you cyclist could help me identify a cannondale bike I recently aquired. I could find no marking for model number or name of the model anywhere. Included is a picture of teh bike in question. Any help is appreciated. Thanks[​IMG]

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Can you get a shot of the drivetrain side? I had a similar one, with that giant tubing, (does it say 3.0 on it anywhere?) and it rode so harsh I quickly flipped it.

3. skribnod

skribnod New Member

4. Industry_Hack

Yes, the serial would be good. I'm guessing that the model designation is ST400. Try a Google search for that, and let us know if it's a match as far as spec.

5. eaton

eaton New Member

6. Industry_Hack

From Sheldon Brown's website

Serial number code: first two digits are the size, next 6 are date of manufacture, remainder are unit number.

7. skribnod

skribnod New Member

Thanks you all for the information. The model is a st400. I looked at all the information and with all the parts on the bike it matches up exactly with the 1987 st400 model. Any idea as to what the value could be? Thanks

8. Industry_Hack

While it's highly rated by owners, value is very subjective. Based on the ride quality, it would be worth nothing to me. Someone else might see it as a cheap commuter, and pay $100 or more. Again, that's just my opinion. Vintage road bikes are hardly my area of expertise.

Are you considering buying it? If so, have you ridden it?

9. Raphael

Raphael New Member

10. Industry_Hack

Not sure what makes you think that's a Cannondale brand frame pump, but I'm willing to bet it's an Avenir. Second guess would be SKS.