Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the three I am looking at any help would be much apprciated!

2011 Trek 2.1 C

2011 Cannondale Synapse 5 (Alum) 105

2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comapact 105

All three are within my pricepoint of 1500.00 and are readily available at my local bike shop. I understand that I can get more bike online but enjoy the convenience and the service. Thoughts?

Kyle

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Your local bike shop is the best investment a new rider can make. I doubt you could go wrong with any of those, but a good bike shop should let you ride them all. Then you are not guessing which one you like. You know.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'd go with the Cannondale or the Specialized of those three.

But really, I'd buy one online and while I think I'm saving, what I would probably wind up doing is spending the same and just getting a better bike (like Titanium).

But if you've got a good shop to deal with, I'd say the Synapse or the Secteur. I haven't been impressed with Trek lately.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Maybe you would Garilia, but then again maybe not. I still believe that unless its completely custom bike where the geometry and size are taken and built just from your particular measurements, a test ride is really important. I have sat on a lot of bikes that were great bikes, good quality, but the just didn't feel right.

Parts I feel a bit different. IF my local bike shop has the part in stock, I'll usually buy it there to support them. If they don't stock it, most of the time I order elsewhere.

Now if you have ridden that make and model, know your exact size and know that bike is for you, then that's a bit different. Online may have a better price, but its not always the better value. Lots will disagree and that is fine. Yet if we don't support our local bike shops when we buy bikes, they won't be there when we need help to fix our bike or have a tube in stock when its a great Saturday afternoon for a ride and you have a flat.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I bought my Fantom 29 without a test ride.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I know a lot of people do and often it works out well. The more experienced the rider, the more likely it is to work. I have also taken a test ride that the bike felt so good right at first that it felt great till you put a few miles on it. The test ride was so impressive I cut it short. I paid for it later with knee problems for a while and still working to get the fit just right on that Fuji. I am so close its driving me crazy. I'll save Hack the trouble. Me crazy. I know short trip right?? The adjustment I made today I THINK just might be the one.

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
I just purchased the Cannondale Synapse 5 with 105 and I love it thus far (I have a review of it here http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f30/2011-cannondale-synapse-5-alloy-105-ride-report-5677/). I have been riding road bikes since I was a kid, albeit it with a break for a few years, and I have not ridden an aluminum bike that is this comfortable ever. It is comfortable but not sluggish as many have described it. The 105 gruppo is as good as you will ever need. Plus it looks good in black.

Cheers,

Brian J.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I just purchased the Cannondale Synapse 5 with 105 and I love it thus far (I have a reivew of it in the forums). I have been riding road bikes since I was a kiud, albeit it with a break for a few years, and I have not ridden an aluminum bike that is this comfortable ever. It is comfortable but not sluggish as many have described it. The 105 gruppo is as good as you will ever need. Plus it looks good in black.

Cheers,

Brian J.
Sweet looking ride...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thar is a sweet ride. I'll keep my eyes open for it around town.

·
Registered
11 Posts
IMHO if you know your inseam, top tube length then your gonna get real close. You can buy more bike on-line (read the reviews and do your homework) and make any small adjustments (ie stem length) after arrival. You can still use your LBS for a fit test and add-ons like pedals etc.

·
Registered
625 Posts
IMHO if you know your inseam, top tube length then your gonna get real close. You can buy more bike on-line (read the reviews and do your homework) and make any small adjustments (ie stem length) after arrival. You can still use your LBS for a fit test and add-ons like pedals etc.
Exactly. And now some Gravity road bikes are being sold at bikesdirect.com. These resemble (in frame shape and geometry) VERY closely the Giant Defy series of bikes, but with better gruppos at much better prices

Compare this one:
Save up to 60% off new Road Bikes - Gravity Comp20 | Save up to 60% off new road bikes

to this one:
Defy 1 (2011) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

both are the 105 level bikes. The Gravity is available as a 20 or a 30, with 105, Ultegra, or Dura-Ace (which is probably overkill for that frameset).

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
i love the rear triangle(stays) of the synapse. they are very quick rides a lot like a cervelo and that is a good thing.
honestly all three bikes you are looking at are nice and while you can of course get a bike online that fits. figure out what length toptube you need and it will fit. sometimes it is nice to get fitted by the LBS and in my experience they provide great service if you have purchased a bike from them.

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
Thar is a sweet ride. I'll keep my eyes open for it around town.
I doubt you will be seeing much of me in Toronto as I live in Burlington, nonetheless I may get some riding in along the lakeshore (the only part of Toronto I know and can't get lost in.:D

Cheers,

Brian J.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the input! New ride is purchased!

I went and test rode The Sprecialized Secteur Elite and Allez, Trek 2.1, Cannondale Cad 10 and the Cannondale Synapse.

I was disapointed with the first three as I didn't get blown away when I took them out. The Cad 10 was nice but too long for me.

When I took out the Synapse I was immediately having a blast. Perfect fit, comfortable, plenty of get up and go. Easy choice...no brainer.

My LBS even gave me the 2011 Synapse Carbon Apex for $1500.00 so I was able to get some new shoes, pedals and computer for just over my limit of $1600.00. ($30.00 last year left over Diadorra road shoes) I don't think I could have gotten that deal on line. Thanks to Rhino Bike Shop in Plymouth, NH. Great service, friendly and a ton of bike knowledge.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts