Need help with crankset to see if it will fit.

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by woogyboogy, Apr 27, 2010.

1. woogyboogy

woogyboogy New Member

I currently have a 175mm Bontrager Comp crankset on my Gary Fisher Sugar 3. I need to replace the right crank (same as the chain side) because where the pedal screws in is stripped and the pedal is crooked more or less. Anyway I found several on ebay and i was wondering if these would fit properly. Bontrager ISIS Drive Side Crank Arm - NEW - eBay (item 130363358424 end time May-01-10 05:01:55 PDT)

175 mm Bontrager RACE DRIVE SIDE Crank Arm Cycling Bike - eBay (item 140275656182 end time May-09-10 15:29:10 PDT)

Thanks so much!

2. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Pull the crap old one off first, see what bottom bracket you have; then just buy the one to fit.

3. woogyboogy

woogyboogy New Member

I'm not savy at all with bike mechanics, I wouldn't want to mess anything up.

4. woogyboogy

woogyboogy New Member

Do you want me to take pictures of it so you can see exactly what i have?

5. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

there is a solution

Ask a good bike shop if they have a thread replacement collar for a right hand 9/16 crank. I have one at my shop but its been so long I have lost the inserts. I think that would be less expensive than a new crank arm.

regardless you will still need to get a crank puller. There is usually a bolt or nut under the dust cap at the BB. first take the nut or bolt off, then put the tool in the threaded hole and then turn the bolt on the tool. THis will pop the crank arm off. After that its up to you.

Mike frye

6. Echihn

Echihn FreerideLife

yea, I sure as hell wouldn't perma coil a crank arm after it's been stripped. Especially since cranks are so cheap.

IMO man, don't buy another set of bontrager cranks. Why bother since you are replacing cranks. Go pick up a nice set of Raceface or FSA arms. Any ISIS arm will work on your bottom bracket if it's isis. There aren't compatibility issues. IE it's a standard in the bike ind.

You can get some killer arms for about 80-120$. Takes about 30 min to do the swap.

best thing you could do if you really want to keep your bike long term is a nice set of 2 piece cranks like the atlas cranks etc. Much more than isis in cost, but they will last quite a bit longer bearing wise.