Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
7 Posts
After reading different reviews for tires I opted for the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, and I just took my first ride (12 miles) on them today. As a result I am a happy camper. The two big "Cons" I read about them were; They were heavy and hard to mount. In regard to heavy, they are heavier, but we're talking ounces here. Holding my old tire and new one in my hands it was just barely heavier. Some reviewers said the Schwalbe was difficult to mount. My rims are 700 X 38c and I mounted the Schwalbe tires quickly and easily, without the use of tire irons. They ride well and feel good and it's hard to beat their puncture resistance. My suggestion is to go with the Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Just curious here. You road 12 miles on a pair of tires and you are raving about them. What did you do ride over broken bottles or something?

·
7 Posts
davereo - Guess I could have worded that differently. I purposely reflected the 12 mile ride so folks wouldn't assume I have ridden on them for years.

Since no one had responded to Cyclistking's request of a month ago about what tires to get, and he had mentioned the Schwalbe tire, I thought I would try to help him out.

While I didn't ride over glass with mine, I have seen it done on videos, to include someone sticking a row of thumb tacks around his tire and riding on it with no air loss. Of course that could have been faked. People in goat-head areas love them because flats are no longer an issue. I have also read about people putting 6 and 10 thousand miles on them with no problem. But they could have been stretching the story. I don't know. I was just happy with my tires and thought I'd pass it on. Being the new kid on the block here I will try to curb my enthusiasm in the future.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
No need to curb anything you are welcome to take part in any or all threads.
I just thought it was odd to recommend a tire with 12 miles on them.
Finding an old thread and bringing it back up front is a good idea. If you find others that peak your interest you can always bump them back up. A simple bump or lets discuss further can also be used to get it going again.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
It's too bad no one answered the question a month ago.

I have regular Schwalbe Marathons (not the Marathon Plus) 26 x 1.5 on my MTB. I've had 'em a while, don't recall flatting and they show very little wear. They lack the extra layer of flat protection of the Plus, which makes them a little lighter and I assume a little less expensive.

They are heavy, and to my surprise a little more slippery on wet pavement than other tires I've used in recent years, but I'm very happy with them. I suspect the high price will be offset by the high mileage I expect to get from them.

·
7 Posts
At the rate I ride, I should have a thousand miles on the tires by the end of October. If I can remember, I'll post another review on them at that time. If they last that long. :)

·
7 Posts
Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tires

While I didn't quite make the 1,000 mile mark that I wanted to on my Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires before updating my experience with them, I did manage to put 978 miles on them. Right now work and weather are getting in the way of my riding time, so I thought I better do it now before we start a new year.

Anyway, at the end of 978 miles I'm very happy with my Schwalbe tires. No flats and they handle well on gravel and pavement. Due to the membrane between the tread and the tube they provide a little more cushion on the gravel roads.

I purchased the Schwalbe tire because of its resistance to flats and so far it's panning out for me. I ride a hybrid on pavement and gravel and they are holding up well. I have no idea how well they would hold up in an off-road or racing environment, but if you want to tour the countryside without the worry of a flat, I recommend giving the Schwalbe Marathon Plus a try.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,201 Posts
Thank you for the original bump and the feedback on your Schwalbes, Claykan! This thread somehow escaped my attention. Sorry Cy-king :eek:

I have also read a lot of good things about Schwalbe tires, especially the Marathon and Marathon+. Have you run yours on wet pavement? I'd be curious how your experience stacks up with what QMS stated above.

I live in CO where there are plenty of goat-heads. I run Continental Touring+ tires in 700x42 at the moment, but my primary flat protection strategy remains Slime, which works great on punctures under 1/8" in diameter. I once picked 8 goat-heads out of my front tire in one sitting. I ride hard-surface dirt and pavement.

I did run the Touring+ tires without Slime for a little over a month and 400mi during the summer - I incorrectly believed my tubes to be pre-Slimed. They flatted pretty close to one-another right around the 400mi mark. No trouble before that. That's much better performance than I got out of the stock Contis my bike came with, but still short of your experience with the Marathon+.

Sounds like our cycling routes are similar. What part of the country are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

·
7 Posts
Hi Newleaf,

I have ridden the Swalbes on wet pavement with no problem. But, I'm not an aggressive rider on corners or when braking in the rain. In fact I'm sure I could ride on bald or tread-less tires with the same handling results. On the straightaways I ride wet roads like they were dry with no problem.

I use Slime in my mower tires with great results and had considered it for my bike tires, but discovered the Schwalbe tires before using it.

I'm located in rural Kansas, near Wakefield, and ride mostly pavement, but I have a 1/4 mile of gravel to ride to get to the pavement. If you're familiar with bikejournal.com you can get an idea of my riding style there. I use the same user name as here.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've found that in general, the colorful tires were made with only color and fad in mind, certainly not durability or puncture resistance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
will this is the closes thing i can find to a tire subject. I got some tires from the bike store some vittore for a gaint escape two 2012 modle. These are supposed to be winter tires for me but guess what after 3week they are going pretty bald in the back he said they were good tires . maybe just made with soft stuff i guess. can any one one here tell me what would be a good winter tire that will fit on a gaint 700c rim that is not more than 2.1 inch wide i guess that what i measured my back frame at. and please only nobby winter tires that grab and can put a lot of miles on cause i do ride all winter long and that at 144 miles a week this last set was 90 dollars down the drain. and the store owner is not being good about this at all so he just lost my money. i guess you got to stick to the store you know. This is gonna be on pavement !!!!!! i think these vittor are just made for sand. there were the xm pro 700c 35 which i think might still be a little thin. and thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
I ride the same tires year round. So if the tires on my bike are still good from the summer they keep rolling through the winter.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,201 Posts
will this is the closes thing i can find to a tire subject. I got some tires from the bike store some vittore for a gaint escape two 2012 modle. These are supposed to be winter tires for me but guess what after 3week they are going pretty bald in the back he said they were good tires . maybe just made with soft stuff i guess. can any one one here tell me what would be a good winter tire that will fit on a gaint 700c rim that is not more than 2.1 inch wide i guess that what i measured my back frame at. and please only nobby winter tires that grab and can put a lot of miles on cause i do ride all winter long and that at 144 miles a week this last set was 90 dollars down the drain. and the store owner is not being good about this at all so he just lost my money. i guess you got to stick to the store you know. This is gonna be on pavement !!!!!! i think these vittor are just made for sand. there were the xm pro 700c 35 which i think might still be a little thin. and thanks.
What were the temps like for the 3 weeks you ran those tires, imrob? Winter-compound rubber is often much softer than summer stuff, giving you great traction in cold conditions. The down-side is the rubber can get so soft in warmer conditions that it wears very, very quickly.

Another likely cause or contributing factor could be running the tires with insufficient air pressure. That not only slows you down, but also accelerates tire wear.

How many miles did you put on during the 3 weeks? That seems awfully fast even accelerated wear to wipe out a tire.

In terms of replacements, I might suggest the Schwalbe Marathon + or, better for winter conditions, the Schwalbe Marathon Winter. The Winter version has the same tread as the Marathon summer version, but is made with a bit softer-compound rubber, and includes studs to enhace traction on ice.

Best of luck finding the right replacements!

·
Registered
38 Posts
What were the temps like for the 3 weeks you ran those tires, imrob? Winter-compound rubber is often much softer than summer stuff, giving you great traction in cold conditions. The down-side is the rubber can get so soft in warmer conditions that it wears very, very quickly.

Another likely cause or contributing factor could be running the tires with insufficient air pressure. That not only slows you down, but also accelerates tire wear.

How many miles did you put on during the 3 weeks? That seems awfully fast even accelerated wear to wipe out a tire.

In terms of replacements, I might suggest the Schwalbe Marathon + or, better for winter conditions, the Schwalbe Marathon Winter. The Winter version has the same tread as the Marathon summer version, but is made with a bit softer-compound rubber, and includes studs to enhace traction on ice.

Best of luck finding the right replacements!
I do check the psi every two day and they can handle up to 90 psi so i keep them at 90 psi they can fall to about 85 every two days. The miles i had put them though about 560 miles and it seem to be the rear and it just the center of the tire going bald already. i did look at those other tires but im gonna wait for the snow to hit might get those maraton winter tires with the ***** the 250 got mad reviews

·
still learning
3,610 Posts
those schwalbe tires sound like the way to go around here, we have those monster tire killing stickers all over also.

i have whatever comes stock on a specialized hybrid. i filled the inner tubes with slime though so i have had zero trouble but i don't ride off the paved roads because even my kids bmx tires get flats with liners in them. but, the slime has kept them aired up since i put it in theirs too.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,201 Posts
Full disclosure: For winter tires, I run Nokian Hakkapeliitta W240 studded in 700x40. I didn't recommend them in this case because the Marathon Winter's rubber compound is a bit 'harder' - longer lasting - than the W240. Both offer carbide studs which are claimed to last much longer than the stainless steel studs used in lower-price versions.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Full disclosure: For winter tires, I run Nokian Hakkapeliitta W240 studded in 700x40. I didn't recommend them in this case because the Marathon Winter's rubber compound is a bit 'harder' - longer lasting - than the W240. Both offer carbide studs which are claimed to last much longer than the stainless steel studs used in lower-price versions.
I went to the bike store to go see if they had some in to look at sadly they did not. If it snow i'm gonna pay the cash for those guys there but it gonna be pricey. Thankz for the heads up do your tires you have now last for over 1000 miles I cumute to work and the bank every week so that there alone is a150 mile week so my miles add up quick

1 - 20 of 23 Posts