Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 1984 Schwinn to convert to a Fixie, to ride to work and back. After scoping out the route, I noticed to work is downhill (slightly) and then uphill (slightly) back home.

QUESTION: Can I run my gears in the back with a Fixie Crank (single speed). I don't see why not? Just worried switching gears in the rear a little might throw the chain?

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I would go with a 7 speed as you will have no trim with out the front derailer, sounds like a good plan to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wild said:
I would go with a 7 speed as you will have no trim with out the front derailer, sounds like a good plan to me.
No trim w/ out front derailed ? Whatcha mean ?

Thinking you meant keep the 7 speed but run a single speed crank ? LoL sorry if I'm the one confused

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Never mind what I said, if you don't have more than one sproket in the front and 7 in the rear you don't have to worry about trim. Trim is when the front derailer moves over a little to keep the chain in a strater line with the gear in the rear and the chain not rub,

My ¢¢

·
Two skinny J's
21,204 Posts
Bought a 1984 Schwinn to convert to a Fixie, to ride to work and back. After scoping out the route, I noticed to work is downhill (slightly) and then uphill (slightly) back home.

QUESTION: Can I run my gears in the back with a Fixie Crank (single speed). I don't see why not? Just worried switching gears in the rear a little might throw the chain?
Why not just choose a good gearing option and keep it fixie or go with a flip flop hub or am I missing something ?

If it's only slight hills that would be perfect, right?

Sheldon Brown Fixed Gear info.
cuz coasting is bad for you :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts