Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey two spoke members. I decided to go all out with cargo stuff on my bike. who makes front cargo racks that go over the front tire? I was looking for something similar to what Topeak has for rear cargo pannier bags the MTX series to be exact just for the front. I'm still waiting for my rear seat rack. Expecting it by tomorrow. So anyway I'm actually just going to go nuts with buying stuff for my bike. I use a 2011 Schwinn tourist hybrid with 700c wheels.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Trailer

I pull a Burley Flatbed behind my Cannondale hybrid and it's a true workhorse. Adding panniers would allow you to take "all that" plus the kitchen sink.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like people at bike shops seem to like over charging for trunk bags built for the topeak mtx beam racks. I found one on amazon.com for around $80 as compared to this $100 bag I saw at a local bike shop in my town. It wasnt even close to the top of the line trunk bag that topeak had. Their top of the line is their DX seires MTX bags with the side panners. It will take me a month to get the bag I want but its better than spending $100 for a bag when I can get a better trunk bag for allot less.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
It looks like people at bike shops seem to like over charging for trunk bags built for the topeak mtx beam racks. I found one on amazon.com for around $80 as compared to this $100 bag I saw at a local bike shop in my town. It wasnt even close to the top of the line trunk bag that topeak had. Their top of the line is their DX seires MTX bags with the side panners. It will take me a month to get the bag I want but its better than spending $100 for a bag when I can get a better trunk bag for allot less.
Overcharging? Right. Because they have to pay rent, and insurance and electricity and water and maintain an inventory, plus all that other overhead that goes with owning a storefront. Unless they have guys working there for free, they probably have to pay wages too.

Call Amazon and ask them to please compare two different bags on the site. And if you need help fitting anything from Amazon, just take it back to Amazon and have them show you how.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Hey, you can find anything cheaper on the internet. But don't begrudge someone for trying to make a profit. No one opens a bike shop to get rich, they do it because they love cycling.

How about everyone just buy all their bikes and gear online, from now on, and put those greedy shops out of business? And when you need to swap out cranks, or adjust your derailleurs, call Amazon. I'm sure they'll help.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I guess my question is what's your basis for comparison? How do you know $100 is overpriced? Topeak doesn't list prices on it's website. You will find web sites that do list prices. My Motobecane Cafe Latte is listed on the website with a MSRP of $899. I bought mine for $700 at my LBS because it was a previous year. Try that on Amazon. Gotta go with Industry_Hack on this :thumbsup:. Support your LBS. In most cases they are small business just trying to make it.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hey, you can find anything cheaper on the internet. But don't begrudge someone for trying to make a profit. No one opens a bike shop to get rich, they do it because they love cycling.

How about everyone just buy all their bikes and gear online, from now on, and put those greedy shops out of business? And when you need to swap out cranks, or adjust your derailleurs, call Amazon. I'm sure they'll help.
You're 100% correct on this Hack.

If you missed my post about the rear wheel on my bike, I need a new one. I want one the similar to the original, ALEXRIMS DA16. The current rim is 32 hole, but I am upgrading to a 36 hole. This means I also need a new hub, Shimano Tiagra 36 hole. While I can purchase the rim and hub from my local bike shop, who order's it from their supplier, the rim would cost $40.00. Don't know what the hub would cost and I still need to have the wheel hand built. Spokes are $1.50 a piece and labor is about $40.00. I ordered the rim and hub from Amazon. For both the hub and the rim is about $55.00.

Why? They are less expensive than purchasing from the bike shop. My local bike shop owner is ok with this. He understands I need to watch my expenses and get my bike back up and running. My bike shop will still make money on this.

I am using a combination of saving money by ordering online and having a new wheel hand built by my bike shop.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Funny how quickly this thread got hijacked and turned into yet another whining session about prices and bike shops. Schwinnman only asked about options for hauling cargo.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So I just got a Topeak MTX seat mount beam rack and fitted it with their pannier frames and the rear fender that is built for the rack. I got their DXP cargo trunk bag. First off this thing is huge but its pretty top heavy and because of that my rack setup tends to lean towards the left when my kick stand is down. Kinda annoying so I might get a Topeak standard style explorer rear rack. I might need to get a mono stay adapter to make this work on my bike because it has no stay mounts on its frame for standard rear racks. That's why I thought it would be cool to get a Topeak seat mounted beam rack but I was wrong.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It was worth a try and we all now know that the single point of mounting at the front, especially a round mount to your seat post, is inherently unstable. Might work fine if it was welded...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts