Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi !

This is my first post, so do excuse the errors.
My query is as follows,

Tires Hutchinson Equinox
Size 650 x 23c
Presta
Recommended Air pressure 100 psi
Maximum Air pressure 110 psi

I just ordered for a new pump with gauge and unknowingly filled in 140 psi in both the tires. Within 10 minutes I realized my mistake.

I immediately deflated both the tires to the correct pressure

My question is :

1. Have I, in any way damaged the tire or tube ?

2. Have I, damaged the rim ?

Your advice would really be appreciated.

rgds

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
You caught it very quickly and even then it didn't sound like you rode it. I can't think of a way you could have hurt anything, and I would ride totally confident that all was well.

Yes I have over inflated tires many times, often by adding air with no pressure gauge to check it at all. Once I did play pop goes the weasel (ie I blew it up so much the tube popped) but that was an extreme case and done by filling up a tire with nothing but feel.

Now the max pressures are there for a reason. Ride consistently over the limit, and sooner or later it will be an issue. A rough road, a heavy rider and over inflated tire is asking for a flat. You didn't ride it over pressured, and even if you had it didn't pop. Reducing the pressure brings it back into spec and you should be just fine. Have fun

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for replying !

You are absolutely right ! I did not, ride it at all, the bike was at home. I did do a complete feel check of my tires and it seemed ok.

But that niggling feeling, " is everything all right " ! bothered me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really do not wish to repeat this mistake. But just for the sake of knowledge : if unladen pressure in the tyre is 110psi then "What would the approx pressure in the tyre, increase to--- if a 165 pound person is astride.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Verry interesting , I would let some air out, then put the pump on inflate to 100psi then sit on the bike without removeing the pump and see what it reads. I would think it will be the same, if not front and back may be different allso. I am thinking your pump has a gauge by the way.

Where are them 2 penneys at :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Based on one formula I've used in the past, on 700x23, it would be about 108 in the back and 97 in the front.

Or you could put the back at 100 and front at 90.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yes I have over inflated tires many times, often by adding air with no pressure gauge to check it at all. Once I did play pop goes the weasel (ie I blew it up so much the tube popped) but that was an extreme case and done by filling up a tire with nothing but feel.
I played that game once not too long ago! It's not as fun as I remember it being when I was a kid. I was definitely disappointed.

To the OP- I don't think you did any harm to your tubes either. You'll be alright.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I really do not wish to repeat this mistake. But just for the sake of knowledge : if unladen pressure in the tyre is 110psi then "What would the approx pressure in the tyre, increase to--- if a 165 pound person is astride.
Assuming there is no temperature or volume change, the pressure will remain constant no matter how much weight you put on it. Think about your car. If you take a wheel off your car and inflate the tire to 30 psi and then put it on the car, therefore adding about 1000 lbs of load to the tire, the pressure will still be right at 30 psi.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
It wouldn't mattered if you did ride it with that pressure, most tires are designed with a the ability to go at least 20 psi greater then the sidewall max rated psi. The max pressure ratings on a tire is for the average person, I know guys who weighed over 250 pounds that routinely run their pressure 10 pounds over on the rear and never had a problem, in fact he has less problems then if he went to the max rated psi.

see this for more info: http://adventurecycling.org/resources/200903_PSIRX_Heine.pdf

And this: http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Edit to my tire pressure max's; manufactures build their tires and then rate the PSI based on 1/2 the pressure the tire can stand, thus if a tire is rated for 125psi max, it can take 250psi before she blows. It is not recommended however you go to those limits, the safe ride limit is based on how much a person weighs, this calculator will get you in the ballpark real close, scan down to the bottom and see Michelin Bicycle Tire “starting point” (700c wheels) Bicycle tire pressure calculator

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
That is a lot less than I use, I will let some of my hot air out, and get it down where it should be.
Thanks

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
That is a lot less than I use, I will let some of my hot air out, and get it down where it should be.
Thanks
Your air is hot because you ride fast. :D

Use the Michelin scale at the bottom of that page, the others for some reason calculate the pressure to low. I've always ran 10 psi less in the front then the rear. The Michelin calculator is correct, for a starting point for the rear, the front should be 10 psi less.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts