Need some advice

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Barmy, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Barmy

Barmy New Member

I just dug out my old ten speed road bike from my teenage years ( I'm in my late 50's so the bike is from the 60's). It has an Italian frame by Briggette. Derailors by Campy, Rigida rims with leather seat. The question is should I restore it as a fun occassional rider. And if so, how far do you go? Repaint the frame? Or just go through a normal tuneup (new tire and tubes, brake cables and pads, re-tape the handle bars)?

I could buy a half decent Sunday rider (to use with my wife, I have a new Specialized Robaix coming for any serious riding) for less than $500. I could end up spending close to that making this one presentable.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

How much sentimental value does it have?

3. Barmy

Barmy New Member

Up to

when I started to try to clean it up, quite a bit. Now that I've started the cleanup process not so much.. :)

4. jwl325

jwl325 Member

If I had an old bike like that, I mean unless it was something really collector-worthy, I'd probably clean it up and use it as a wall hanging in a rec room or something like that.

Very cool though that you still have your old bike.

5. ScottRyder

ScottRyder New Member

Preserve and ride it, you'll regret it someday if you part with it. Do you have some photos you can post?

Scott

6. Barmy

Barmy New Member

Will post pictures

after I get it back together again

7. Doohickie

Doohickie Older than Hack

Don't paint it. Just clean it up- car wax on the paint, lemon juice and tin foil on the chrome.

8. devinfan

devinfan New Member

Pictures!!!

I have never seen a "Briggette" and I know a little bit about vintage Italian bikes. Restoring a bike is way more fun than buying one, despite the cost. I would love to see what components are on it. 1960's Campy components can fetch you the price of a new bike if they are the right ones. Don't paint it! This not only kills the sentimental value but also totally destroys the actual value of a vintage bike if you ever want to sell it to a collector. No one wants a repainted bike.

Come on, some pictures... ;)

9. ScottRyder

ScottRyder New Member

+1

I think I'll post some photos of my vintage Italian Mirella, which doubles as my best "found in the trash" bike.

Scott

10. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

ss conversion.

11. devinfan

devinfan New Member

Really? I can see singlespeeding an old Schwinn or gaspipe Peugeot or something like that, but never a 60's Italian bike, especially an unusual one. Half the fun is the old components, never mind the value. I think classic bikes should be left alone. There are plenty of new singlespeeds or old bikes with junk components on them to turn into singlespeeds, but the OP said this one had Campy etc. on it. Leave it alone! :(

12. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I don't know anything about that specific bike, but unless it has some kind of collectors value, I'd have no problem converting it to a singlespeed. It's just an option.

13. KC-Steve

KC-Steve New Member

IMHO, painting is somewhat discretionary and depends upon the condition of the original paint along with the bike's value in original condition. They say the "original patina" (aka, rust and scrapes) is important. But I have no problem painting a Schwinn or Raleigh that needs it as long as it isn't painted with a rattle can. There's even a website that tells people to make their bikes "ugly" by painting them just so they WON'T get stolen. :)

Steve

14. ScottRyder

ScottRyder New Member

When patina goes bad .. MY Cïocc that I just picked up. I won't have any trouble deciding what to do on this one.

[​IMG]

Scott

15. Barmy

Barmy New Member

I'll put it back dirty

And post some pictures..OK?

16. Barmy

Barmy New Member

Picture #1

Here we go

Attached Files:

17. Barmy

Barmy New Member

Picture # 2

Again

Attached Files:

18. Barmy

Barmy New Member

Picture #3

Again

Attached Files:

19. Barmy

Barmy New Member

Picture #4

Again

Attached Files:

20. ScottRyder

ScottRyder New Member

wow, would I love to have that drop in my lap as a winter project. What a pretty frame, love the decals .. Do not repaint!

Scott