Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
couple buddies of mine found some nice bike trails within an hour driving range from where we live. i have always been a fan of bike trail but never got too involved. i currently have a bike but it has no shocks on the front or back. and these bike trails looks quite bumpy.

i have no clue what so ever on the brands, nor the differences amount the different selection of bikes. i do have a budget of 600 ish so i figure i can get a decent bike i don't have to replace once i become more adequate. any recommendations are welcome. cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Find a local shop and ask them what kind of bike they'll take on that particular trail.
Solid advice here.

The 4300 is a tough bike to beat for under $600.

Also, don't blow your entire budget on just the bike. Having the right accessories (not even the more expensive ones) can make all the difference in how much fun you're having.

·
Pedaling Old Man
68 Posts
Got a Trek 4300 and it's a great bike...hard to beat for under $600 and does very well on most single tracks. Good beginner bike for trails...you'll have a blast on it!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
If it's your first bike I wouldn't spend too much money. What if you find out you don't like it? Just get something used and cheap at first, you can always buy something else later if you're still interested in mtn biking.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Giant also offers entry level bikes that are an excellent value. And while I'll give you a pass on bicycle terminology, there are plenty of MTB riders my age and older that rode those same trails without the benefit of any suspension or even v-brakes. Even after I got my first full suspension Cannondale, I hung onto my Trek 7000 from around 1990. Took it out on a group ride, and did ok for most of the ride. There was a long downhill fire road that was nothing but washboard. With no suspension, and virtually no brakes, (cantilevers on that bike sucked) it was a good time to find out what you're really made of.
;)

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'd skip the "Buy a cheap bike" step and get a good entry-level mountain bike.
When I decided to give Mountain biking a try, I bought a cheap bike off of Craig's list, it fell apart the first few miles, but the bug had already bitten, so I went to Wal*Mart and bought a better cheap bike (atleast it was new) I soon discovered that although this bike worked, it was so heavy and had crappy components and although it was working, I was working way too hard on that tank. I then visited my local bike shop, test rode a number of bikes, fell in love with a Trek Mamba, the rest is history, I love this bike. There are comparable models, I personally am a Trek fanboy... so in my opinion, you can't go wrong with a Trek, I'm not familiar with the numbered series' (i.e; 4300, 6000, 7000's etc) nor do I know much about the 26", I will only ride 29ers from now on, the Mamba has spoiled me..... look into the Trek Wahoo, Marlin and Mamba for some sweet 29er Hardtail action.

Wahoo - Trek Bicycle
Marlin - Trek Bicycle
Mamba - Trek Bicycle

But you really should get on some bikes at your local shop and find one that fits you and you are comfortable on.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
If it's your first bike I wouldn't spend too much money. What if you find out you don't like it? Just get something used and cheap at first, you can always buy something else later if you're still interested in mtn biking.
Sorry, not trying to flame you or belittle you, but THIS is the worst advice given out on the subject.

Buying something cheap can EASILY turn you off to riding, because a crap bike gives a crap experience.

Buying something decent may well give you a taste of something you like, or you may decide it's not for you; but if you find yourself with a bike you won't ride again because you don't like that type of riding, at least THIS bike can be sold.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well it worked for me at least! I've been riding an ok bike all year and recently bought a used trek 6500 in good condition. Of course you don't want to get a bike that is going to fall apart on your first ride, but I think it's stupid to spend more than a thousand dollars on a bike that you may ride for less than a few months.

·
One Crank at a Time
1 Posts
My best advice for finding a great starter is to GET FITTED! Alot of people have never experienced a good fitting bike. Alot of discomfort can come from a bad fit. Next I would try to stick with aluminum, it's cheap and light. Thirdly stick with name brand components. The rest is in the rider.

·
OTR-MTB and Fitness
85 Posts
I'll Second getting to a shop and riding some bikes. And find out from People who know those trails. I'm personally riding a Giant Talon 29er but out the door, with bits and pieces, it ran $1K. My only regret is not buying more bike. :) I feel like I cheeped out with the hard-tail.
Still Craigslist is an option. Your likely to get a lot of bike for the money, caveat emptor and all that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts