new 29er on market

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by lowracer1, Dec 23, 2009.

1. lowracer1

lowracer1 New Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Honestly, I fail to see the point of this bike.

3. lowracer1

lowracer1 New Member

I agree , you can't do a sub 4 hour century on it...... just not fast enough. Besides that you have to sit upright on an uncomfortable seat.

4. Mootsguy

Mootsguy A Red Headed Stepchild

Ridden one?:rolleyes:

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

It looks like a cool bike to me. What's the issue?

6. Industry_Hack

A rigid carbon frame/fork with 29" wheels. Seems very O

7. Mootsguy

More so that Niner's Air 9? [​IMG]

8. Industry_Hack

I'm not sold on the 29er concept, or on carbon fiber for mountain bikes. Wasn't there a thread on here where the cable guy knocked some guy's bike over, and it cracked? I don't want any part of that. Couple that with heavier wheels, and I'm not seeing any advantages.

If it pleases you, get it. It's just not something I have any interest in.

9. Mootsguy

Out of curiosity Hack, what experiences have you had that lead to those conclusions?

10. Industry_Hack

Personally? None. I'm all for carbon fiber headset spacers, don't get me wrong. But I had one friend snap his bars in half, and another broke his seatpost. Then I read about situations like the aforementioned bike getting knocked over in a house, and the frame cracking. It doesn't really matter how unlikely that is, it's still not acceptable to me. Failures aside, I'm not willing to pay the premium for carbon fiber.

11. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Most mountain bikes never see the mountains. Never jump off a cliff or climb a tree. MTBs are very good bikes in town with steps and sidewalks to bounce around on. Lighter is always better. Pretty is better still and this is a handsome bike. I happen to love the 29 inch concept for this kind of MTB riding. Suspension and spring forks are not needed in town. Especially with fat tires. Nobody needs 3-rings on anything. A simple 42 tooth up front and 7-9 gears in back is more than enough. This bike is a beauty of concept and construction. If only I had the kind of money it took to own one, I'd buy it today and place it atop my X-mass tree.

lowrider1, thanks for posting this in the MTB forum. I happen to think it represents the best of concept unless downhill suicide runs are your thing. Most people putz around town and for them it is perfect.

12. Industry_Hack

Everyone that I knew in SoCal with a mountain bike rode their bikes off road. And this would fail at that. Also, there's no way you could clear some of the stuff we rode with a 42/28 or 42x34 even.

13. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

The world is bigger than SoCal. Most riders I know ride simple dirt roads. As to it failing, you earlier showed me a very cool carbon matrix design and sung its virtue. This thing is CF too. Much of what was written about the matrix CF bike read like commercial spin to me. No way a matrix could be stronger than a tube. I happen to notice the builders of the matrix frame were very careful to state it was stronger than steel bikes of similar weight. "Similar Weight" We both know what that means. Who makes a 2.7 pound steel frame? Nobody, that's who. They're comparing their bike against something that doesn't exist. It's marketing at it's best.

No offence, Indy Hack. I'm just a cynical bugger and don't believe PR. And I don't do real mountains on my MTBs.

14. Industry_Hack

The world is certainly bigger than SoCal, but your statement "Most mountain bikes never see the mountains" is misleading. Maybe where you live, but the places I've lived, people buy mountain bikes and hit the trails.

As far as the Iso-Truss, Delta 7 uses filaments in their design, which is far different than your traditional carbon fiber construction. You can read about their weight to strength ratio here.

15. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Indy Hack: First of all, thanks for rescuing me from the recumbent section.

Maybe a bike like the CF MTB pictured should be marketed with a warning about what it is capable of regarding bumps and jumps. I know that it's awkward to make a Mountain Bike and then tell buyers not to ride in the rough stuff.

I read your posts. No doubt you know more about frames and the industry than me. I actually learned that scandium was an alloy of aluminum (American spelling, correct?) reading what you wrote earlier. Had not known that. Titanium is as exotic as I've been exposed to.

For me the bike pictured represents a great urban runabout suited to forays into the country. Hybrids do that now. This CF is just a more jolly-looking version in my eyes.

As for the matrix Iso-Truss. I think it is very cool and shows what clever people can come up with. I remain unconvinced it really represents any "Big Thing". If going forward other manufacturers find it superior, they will come out with their version, patents be damned. Change one farting thing in the weave and it's a new patent. Same in all industry. So I like the clever makers, but I'll wait to see how it shakes out going forward.

16. Industry_Hack

The rigid carbon 29er is not new. We used to just call them road bikes. ;)

17. JohnnyMagic

JohnnyMagic New Member

Merry Christmas!

Yeah, I "wasn't sold" either. But since my favorite bike to take on vacation is a cyclo-x with two wheelsets, I thought I'd build this.
    I've been riding carbon bars, cranks, and seatposts offroad since 96.
    Never had a failure.
    The things that will break a carbon part will dent a steel or Al.
    They make baseball bats from carbon now.

I assure you this bike IS ridden off road. I climb standing in the big ring.
    The only limit is the Ritchey knock-off fork. Dual crown carbon rigid is in the works.

All the fastest guys in Mi. ride hardtails. 29r's let you run rigid forks.
    I do slow down for the rock gardens.

This bike has seen lake Hodges, (LA area), Angle rim ? trail overlooks Lake Tahoe, and slickrock at Moab.
    No Weenie gears needed :D. Ido run a 32t. cassett.

Carbon RULES, anything else is "oldschool, retro" outdated.

Think offroad TT bike or Monstercross.

JM

18. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

I guess that is true, really. I like the cyclocross concept carried a bit further to incorporate the true mountain bike fat tyre of at least 40mm or 1.5". JohnnyMagic's idea of a MTB happened to dovetail mine exactly. Right down to the single drive gear and straight bar height. I liked his fat carbon triangles and his sense of lines. It spoke to me.

19. Jake_The_Snake

Jake_The_Snake New Member

I like the 1x9 and the wheelset. No suspension fork? V-brakes? I do see the point of this bike, but its stupid. This bike is an attempt to prove that 29's don't have to be pigs. They also dont have to be any fun to ride either.