New Bike, but.....

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by counselguy, Sep 7, 2009.

1. counselguy

counselguy Guest

Just picked up my new Roubaix Pro with SRAM. I am used to a triple but thought the compact would be fine with our hilly terrain. I went out with a friend yesterday who rides very fast and hills that weren't that tough for me before with my previous triple felt tougher. I made it up the hills, but made me more worried about riding out West next year when we take a trip. The rear cassette is 11-28, and the rings are 50/34.

Question: Is it a big deal to convert this bike to a triple and would be it big?? to do it.
    Thanks!! I do love the bike, and the look!!
    Counselguy

2. counselguy

counselguy Guest

Sorry - that should have read big $$$$. I would still like to stay with SRAM if possible.
    Counselguy

3. crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead Guest

I have a Roubaix with the compact rings. I asked the shop about converting to a triple. Big bucks!

new bottom bracket, new rings, new front/rear derailleur, possibly a new rear derailleur, possibly a new rear cassette and of course a new chain.

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

If the 34x28 doesn't do it for hills, you need to train harder.

5. Echihn

Echihn FreerideLife

+1.

Keep the gearing how you have it Counsel. Work at it, and once you get used to it, you will be all so much faster. It's like weight training. You won't get stronger if your lifting light weights to make it easier, you will get stronger by doing bulk weight til fail.

Your legs will thank you in the end :D

6. crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead Guest

I struggled a little with hills when I started up again in August. Now I'm able to stay away from the big gear in back and on occasion I can stay in the large chain ring (if my knees feel like it).

I have some serious hill work ahead of me as I get ready for the continental divide next summer.

I'd keep what you got for now and just train.

7. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

I have double front chain rings...
    But they are geared lower than yours...
    I use a 46/28 instead of a 50/34. The rear is a 12/27 10 speed cassette.
    I live in Colorado and regularly ride the mountains with this set up.
    Ain't easy, but is completely do-able!

Just a thought...lower the front rings a bit. You can stay with the existing front derailleur and shifter.
    Just change 2 chain rings and shorten the chain..Wella...lower gears.:D