Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just looking for some input and opinions. I am 6'5", 240 pounds. I have a 2003 KHS Alite 500 hard tail XC bike. It was my first semi-good bike. Last summer I rode to work for 6 weeks and loved it. Then it got cold. Summer is almost here again in Calgary, an I plan on riding from about April-September, give or take.

I'm looking to upgrade. 29ers always seemed like a good idea to me, as I'm a big guy anyways. Also, I was thinking a lockout fork would be handy for smooth stretches and steep climbs. I was also thinking of getting some city slicker tires and just use the mountain tires on the weekend, as my 12 km (one way) commute is 85% paved. Also, I want to finally make the switch to clipless pedals, as my giant feet flex a ton when I wear my old Nike runners.

I am a big guy and ride hard. My criteria are : 29er, lockout fork, and a hardtail. Budget is anywhere between $1000-$2000.

Not sure about the lockout. Is it worth it?

I was thinking of the Kona Kahuna Deluxe, 2012 model. But I don't believe it comes with a lockout.

Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Lockout is important to me -- I'm a heavy guy also. A few months back I got a Gravity 29point3 from Bikesdirect.com, and I really like it. For your budget the Gravity 29point5 or 29point6 would be a heck of a bike for the money, IMHO:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/29er_bikes.htm

Both have Rockshox Reba forks, one is SRAM, the other Shimano

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I purchased a giant anthem x 29er and both the rear shock and front fork lock out. You should check out Aprils issue of mountain bike action magazine as the have a good article about the technical side of riding a 29er. There is a good chunk of the article that talks about how and when to use the lockout on the 29er. Not on the hills but on the flats only or not at all. It all has to do with geometry (difference between the 26 and 29). After reading i obviously hit the trails and resisted the desire to hit the lockouts. Long story short, i may never use them again.Check out the article before you buy, it may save you some money in the way of not needing lockouts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts