New bike is kicking my butt

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by wild, Mar 5, 2010.

1. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

This new Fuji Absolute 1.0 is putting a hurt on me, my but is sore my legs are sore and my back is hurting, The old Cannondale quick 6 didn't treat me this way, 35 mile ride was easy . I have bin making some ajustments but I don't know. I think the legs hurt from the 175 crank the back maybe a shorter stem. and the but a saddle that has a little more pading may help along with loseing the 9# I gained.
    Looks like it is comeing around, stil neads a little tweeking, maybe some Bag Balm for the sore spots

3-1-2010
    Mon 11 miles-------------------Mon off more rain-------------------Mon off rain
    Tues 20 miles------------------Tue 11.2 miles----------------------Tues off more rain
    Wed off-----------------------wed 20 miles------------------------Wed 35.7 miles
    Thur 10 miles------------------Thur 35 miles
    Fri 19.8-----------------------Fri 21 miles
    Sat 36.2----------------------Sat 10.4
    Sun 10.2----------------------Sun 10.2
    Mon 11------------------------Mon off rain
    Tue 25.3----------------------Tues 10.4 miles
    Wed 10-----------------------Wed 13.8
    Thur 36-----------------------Thur 12.2
    Fri off rain---------------------Fri off rain
    Sat off realy raining------------Sat 8.3 miles
    Sun off more rain--------------Sun 10.7 miles

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  2. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Have you thought about getting the bike professionally fitted??? I know I was suffering on my ride with some horrible knee pain and the fitting made all the difference in the world.

3. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

bike fit

I am sorry to hear your new bike is causing you pain. Did the bike shop do a good job fitting you for this bike. I would go back to the shop and let them know about your pain.
    I wouldn't change the saddle just yet get a proper fitting and ride the bike for about two weeks if it still hurts then start looking at different saddles. go to this site input your numbers and match it with your setup.

The Colorado Cyclist :: Bicycle Parts and Accessories

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  4. wild

Befor I baught the bike thay put me in this thing and took all kinds of mesurments with a laser, said this was the frame for me in the Absolute 1.0. I allso rode a 2009 2.0 thay had there, I did a cupple of miles on it felt real good, but the 2010 1.0 is a little different bike. The ride was a little better today, I did a little more saddle ajustment . 19.8 miles today, sore but not as bad in some spots. I will have 100 miles by tuesday and will be taking it back for an ajustment and a better fit.

I put 36.2 on today Sat., it seams to be better, a cupple more 30 mile rides I will know better

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  5. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Any updates???? Hope your finding more comfort with your ride.

6. wild

It seams to be getting a little better with every ajustment but it still may need a different saddle. I put 11 miles on yesterday but it was not like the Quick 6. I mesured the bikes yesterday and found thay are allmost the same. the 175 crank might be some of it.

7. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Good to hear that you are seeing some improvements. How tall are you? I know I am 5'10" and I use a 172.5mm crankset on both of my road bikes. Seems to be a perfect fit for me. I guess it is entirely possible for the larger crank arm to be causing discomfort, especially in the legs.

8. wild

I am 5' 9 1/2" but I must have long legs as my grandson is 6' and he can not reach the gas pedal and the brake right in the race car that is setup for me. I rased the seat 1/4" after I rode today as I felt my leg was not strate as is should be at the bottom of the stroke. A little at a time and wright down what I do, I can get real forgetfull sometimes.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  9. wild

Yesterday I changed the saddle I think I gave it a good try and a lot of ajustments. I put the saddle on that I had bin useing on the Quick 6. I thaught this saddle was ok but I thaught ther could be some inprovement. Now all we nead is the rain to stop, thay are saying Monday.

10. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I think it is awesome that you are not giving up on this....keep it up, I am sure you are going to get that bike dialed in. I hear you about the rain....a couple of buddies and I braved the Noreaster we are getting here south of Boston for a good 40 mile ride. I was totally soaked and frozen but it was so worth it.

11. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

It sounds like you are starting to get it dialed in. I just switched to a recumbent trike and it was totally differenct than my hybrid.

12. wild

It looks like I might get a short ride in today the rain has stoped . All I have to do is find a route that is not coverd with watter.:D

A recumbemt might be more than I could handle thay seam difacult to ride.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  13. wild

I don't know if I could handel rideing in the rain, getting a little wimpy in my old age, 65.
    I got 11 miles in today with the seat from the Quick 6 on the new bike, helped some. I had to stop and make some ajustments a cupple of times.
    The sholders have bin sore wile I havent bin rideing the last 4 days. I have 2 bad ones toren rotator cuff on bouth + some of that old age stuff arther something. This bike will never fit like the Quick 6 as the bars are 3" higher on the Quick 6. I think a stem extender and a ajustable stem might get it close, or I will have to tuffen up :D

14. wild

I got a 35 mile ride in today looks like the bike is as good as it will get without some changes , new Stem and Saddle it has a 120mm stem with 6* rise, I think a 100 17* rise might get me close. As for the saddle I am having a hard time still looking, it is realy hard to try and buy a saddle with out it in front of you, or should I say under you.

15. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

Takes quite a while to get everything dialed in... small adjustments can make huge differences.

16. wild

The new stem is ordered should be here by next week going from a 120mm 7* to a 100mm 17*. That should put me in a more upright position and take some weight off my bad sholders.

17. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

bike stem

your bike shop should swap out the stem free of charge. It's a basic service that most bike shops handle during the fitting. I am glad you are getting out there but pain shouldn't be part of your ride something isn't right. I would have the bike shop take a look at you pedal down the street so that they can see if they can spot something.

18. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

An adjustable stem is not at all a bad idea, at least to use while you get started. You could use an upright position in the beginning and then gradually adjust it down as your condition improves. Then when you're dialed in swap out the adjustable for a fixed which more or less matches the geometry you arrive at.

19. wild

A lot of this has to do with this old body, bouth sholders should have bin operated on bouth have toren rotator cuf. When thay fit the bike to me I wanted a more layed out posion. now I want to go back to the position I had on the quick 6.
    Old might be gold when it comes to bikes but not to old men;)

20. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

If your shoulders can't take it, there's always recumbents.