Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Located along the Sioux City river front is the Riverfront Trail, Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center, Sgt. Floyd Museum and Welcome Center, public picnic shelter, playground and large parking lot. Between the interpretive center and museum is a public restroom building. Part of this area is on the Interstate 29 right of way. The public grounds are maintained by either the state of Iowa or City of Sioux City.

Recently in front of the restroom building a new bike rack was installed by the City of Sioux City. One had never been there before. Installing a bike rack on public property near a trail, museum and other public amenities is not uncommon or even that big of a deal. But what is the big deal in this case is the type of bike rack that was installed.

The manufacturer is unknown at this time as is the style it is called, but this bike rack will accommodate all types of bicycles. From traditional kids bikes, diamond frame bikes, to recumbent s, tricycles and even tandem bicycles. The rack will hold bicycles of various sizes.

Usually when a bike rack is installed in a public place it is the style that will hold one wheel of the bike and it will typically only accommodate a single seat diamond frame bike. These older style racks are not very secure. Bicycles tend to fall over causing damage.

Kudos to the City of Sioux City for installing a bike rack designed to accommodate all bicycle styles.

Pictured here is the new bike rack with my rig parked in it. Before the bike rack was installed I had to park my bike up against the trash can that looks like an old barrel seen in the photo's.

Attachments

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the label on the concrete was to mark where the bike rack was to be/is installed. Looks like they got it right. I think the paint will wear away fast. This might have been contracted out to a local construction company.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Outside the Sioux City Public Museum, located downtown are new bike racks.

Like the new bike rack located near the Sgt. Floyd Museum and Welcome Center and the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center a bike rack outside of a public place such as a museum is not that big of a deal or out of the ordinary.

The big deal is like the aforementioned bike rack, the new racks installed outside the Sioux City Public Museum, they will accommodate most styles and types of bicycles. Including but not limited to: traditional kids bikes, diamond frame bikes, to recumbent s, tricycles and even tandem bicycles.

Usually when a bike rack is installed outside of a public place it is the style that only accommodates the traditional diamond frame bicycles. With the 2 new styles it is hoped the trend of bike racks accommodating all types of bicycles will continue.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts