New bike setup

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Mike1jw, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Does anyone know how complicated setting up a new bike from the factory box would be?

I thinking of buy a new bike from bikesdirect.com, but the more I think about it, the more intimidating it seems to be.

I am mechanicly inclined so on the one hand I think I should be able to do it, yet, on the other hand, I have never set up a new factory direct bike, so I'm not sure of what's involved. I don't want to have to buy a bunch of new tools that I'll use only once.

Please, Any suggestions,

Mike

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

It depends on the bike, but it's not hard. The last bike that I assembled was my gf's Giant Trance X1. It took me about an hour and much of that time was removing bubble wrap and tape from the frame.

What bike are you thinking about buying?

3. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

I'm looking at a Motobecane Le Champion SL Titaium from bikesdirect.com with Ultegra 6700 group

The componants are probable more advanced than I need, and I wonder about the quality of the frame (compared to, let's say a Giant Alliance frame), but it looks like a nice bike and I would never be able to afford a bike with these componants from a local bike shop.

4. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

I agree with the savings for sure. I am planning to purchase my new bike from the LBS because of service and warranty issues. They are awesome people and provide a lot of knowledge. Lacking that I would be all over the bikesdirect deals.