Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Rat Biker
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well looking for some input on this bike. Yeah my main one is fine I'm looking at another one just because why not. I don't really need a new one but kinda want to have it as AA backup to.
So I'm looking at the surly ogre. Partly want to turn it into a grocery hauler and an alternate bike to ride in the winter.

I know some are gonna grumble I'm also going to get a few grumbles at this I'm putting a motor on it.
Anyways aside from the motor if anyone has the ogre how do ya like the bike over all?

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,057 Posts
When you said surly ogre i thought you were talking about me .... but I see there is also a bike with that name.

Interesting .... I did a lot of commuting/camping/light touring/general riding on a Bridgestone MB4 .... This probably weighs the same but performs better .... though I would want two front rings .... that's just me ....

I saw this question:
Asked by Bil 8 months ago

Verified Reply - Tony
The stock Sram NX cranks should be a standard 104 BCD and some aftermarket ring mfg's make a 30t ring.

The thing definitely isn't short on rack mounts. And, it is ready for a trailer.

Did you see this:
Could I put a 28 inch wheel (what is the fattest 28 inch tire I could fit) at the front of my 2020 Ogre ? Wouldn't that cause some isues with geometry (bb too low)? I am looking at cheap ebike hub motor wheels just for fun. Thanks.
Asked by MatK 6 months ago

Add your answer
Verified Reply - Tony
For starters, I'm afraid that the none of our frames (besides the already e-assisted Big Easy) are endorsed for any sort of aftermarket e-assist systems). Secondly, we have not fit tested any 28" wheels so we are not able to speak to exact max tire clearance. The only endorsed wheel sizes are listed in the FRAME SPEC tab. Hope that helps
!

I say, motorize it anyway. Were you planning a frame mount or a wheel motor?

·
Rat Biker
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you said surly ogre i thought you were talking about me .... but I see there is also a bike with that name.

Interesting .... I did a lot of commuting/camping/light touring/general riding on a Bridgestone MB4 .... This probably weighs the same but performs better .... though I would want two front rings .... that's just me ....

I saw this question:
Asked by Bil 8 months ago

Verified Reply - Tony
The stock Sram NX cranks should be a standard 104 BCD and some aftermarket ring mfg's make a 30t ring.

The thing definitely isn't short on rack mounts. And, it is ready for a trailer.

Did you see this:
Could I put a 28 inch wheel (what is the fattest 28 inch tire I could fit) at the front of my 2020 Ogre ? Wouldn't that cause some isues with geometry (bb too low)? I am looking at cheap ebike hub motor wheels just for fun. Thanks.
Asked by MatK 6 months ago

Add your answer
Verified Reply - Tony
For starters, I'm afraid that the none of our frames (besides the already e-assisted Big Easy) are endorsed for any sort of aftermarket e-assist systems). Secondly, we have not fit tested any 28" wheels so we are not able to speak to exact max tire clearance. The only endorsed wheel sizes are listed in the FRAME SPEC tab. Hope that helps
!

I say, motorize it anyway. Were you planning a frame mount or a wheel motor?
Thanks yeah I'm gonna be doing a mid drive bafang bbshd at least a 750 watt motor. I'll leave a better reply later at work currently

Reactions: maelochs

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,239 Posts
Why not some sort of electric bike that comes ready to go? Something like this.........

hell, I'm kinda tempted by this thing, lol 750 watt motor, 40 mile range

Reactions: maelochs

·
Rat Biker
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not some sort of electric bike that comes ready to go? Something like this.........

hell, I'm kinda tempted by this thing, lol 750 watt motor, 40 mile range
Nice bike. Thought about it to be honest I like to tinker. I already built one ebike need a new project plus been wanting a surly for ages.

·
Rat Biker
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TE="i12ride, post: 294496, member: 7801"]l
Well, as the builder of most of the 20 bikes on hand around my house, I see where you're comin from and await pics of the newborn....
[/QUOTE]
I'll definitely keep you posted once the build happens. And get pics of it for sure

Reactions: newleaf150

·
Rat Biker
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To be truthful I'm not really all that interested in carbon I'm strictly after chrome molly steel for an electric cargo bike build

·
Rat Biker
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,057 Posts
2017 Fuji Sportif .... my rain/work/light touring/comfort bike. Al frame, CF forks, 105 drivetrain, cable discs ..... I have front racks, too, but I don't ever really need them. I can tell you though, there have been a full hills I have hit while fully loaded where I would have used a motor had I had one. :D

·
Rat Biker
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2017 Fuji Sportif .... my rain/work/light touring/comfort bike. Al frame, CF forks, 105 drivetrain, cable discs ..... I have front racks, too, but I don't ever really need them. I can tell you though, there have been a full hills I have hit while fully loaded where I would have used a motor had I had one. :D
I'll tell ya having a motor is worth it for me. I love getting people asking if I feel like I'm cheating.
Not even a little bit it helps me stay relaxed for work and I have energy while still getting a workout. Plus it's fun

Reactions: newleaf150

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,239 Posts
Yeah, I was dying on too long of a ride on the bike I chose for that ride few weeks ago and seeing all those ebikes coasting by was starting to get my attention lol..............

1 - 14 of 14 Posts