Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first bike in almost 15years. Got the 2012 Giant Escape 1 hybrid bike and I love it. i have no idea how good the components are, but i got a great deal on it by my LBS (2 years free labor and lifetime adjustments).

I have put on about 30miles on it. Plan on getting a wired cadence computer and changing the tires from size 32 to 25 or 28. I want to make the bike as quick as possible. Any other suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Welcome! Just ride and maybe some water bottle cages :)

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Yep. Will be getting them next week, once Irene is over. :)
Guess you are here on the right coast as well somewhere?

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Dang you are close :) Up the road a bit from ya in Gloucester :)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Great looking bike! My 'Other' bike is a Specialized Sirrus Elite which is comparable to your Giant. I dropped the tires from 32's down to 25's and it did make a notable improvement in speed without giving up too much in smoothness of ride.

The biggest bang for your buck will to be to switch to clip-less pedals. Huge improvement.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great looking bike! My 'Other' bike is a Specialized Sirrus Elite which is comparable to your Giant. I dropped the tires from 32's down to 25's and it did make a notable improvement in speed without giving up too much in smoothness of ride.

The biggest bang for your buck will to be to switch to clip-less pedals. Huge improvement.
How do the 25's perform on bike paths and unpaved trails?

I was thinking about the Shimano PD-a530 pedals, clipless and platform both. And hopefully installing carbon fork, seat post, stem and handlebar in the near future. Though i have heard carbon components are prone to cracking and arent as durable as alloy.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
How do the 25's perform on bike paths and unpaved trails?

I was thinking about the Shimano PD-a530 pedals, clipless and platform both. And hopefully installing carbon fork, seat post, stem and handlebar in the near future. Though i have heard carbon components are prone to cracking and arent as durable as alloy.
I haven't taken the bike off the pavement so can't really speak to that. I am lucky enough to have a 100+ mile long bike path which is where I do 99% of my riding.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This bike is on my consider list along with the Sirrus Expert.
It looks like you have a chain protecter over the front sproket? The catalog does notit that way.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This bike is on my consider list along with the Sirrus Expert.
It looks like you have a chain protecter over the front sproket? The catalog does notit that way.
I have the 2012 Escape 1, I think the chain protector is an addition they made to it. The giant website still shows the 2011 models.

The Sirrus Expert costs twice as much as the Escape 1. You should consider the Escape 0, which has the carbon fork and i think is a 9 speed and is $700 or so.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the 2012 Escape 1, I think the chain protector is an addition they made to it. The giant website still shows the 2011 models.

The Sirrus Expert costs twice as much as the Escape 1. You should consider the Escape 0, which has the carbon fork and i think is a 9 speed and is $700 or so.
My Bad. The correct Giant model I am looking at is the Rapid 1, not the Escape 1.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Welcome
Grats on the purchase...

I'm not far away in Newport News....

·
242 Posts
getting a new bike is always exciting. even if it's a used one. either way you can make it your own.
it is a really good looking bike Congrsts !!!!!!!!

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I would think taking off the kikstand would save more weight than changeing to carbon seat post, stem, and handlebars and Cheeper too, but thay do look neat.
:rolleyes: My ¢¢

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would think taking off the kikstand would save more weight than changeing to carbon seat post, stem, and handlebars and Cheeper too, but thay do look neat.
:rolleyes: My ¢¢
I was on the fence about the kickstand, but it actually prevents my bike from falling over and getting all scratched up.

i think changing the tire size will be my be sufficient for now. Can't decide if I should go with 25s or 28s.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts