Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
First off I'd like to thank all of you guys for your good info while I've been lurking this site. Very good info and very nice people. I'll tell you about me. Im completely new to the sport. I've been a smoker for about the last 10 years and I've finally decided to kick it. So what better excercise to help me stop than to bike right? I'll be getting my bike sometime next week and I had a few questions. 1) My wife and I are expecting and due in the winter with our first child. I want to get my wife into biking as well and we both wanted a road bike. Does anyone know if we can use a Baby Trailer (i think thats what they are called) with a road bike? 2) The bike i'm looking at has a rusted chain. How do I know what size chain I would need? Thank you and look forward to meeting you folks.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
First, welcome to the forums! Good on ya for quitting that nasty habit, getting into cycling, and congrats on the baby.

To answer your questions, yes, you can haul a trailer with a road bike. Most attach to the chain stay, and the actual fitting is rarely an issue. Hauling a kid along with the diaper bag and every thing else your wife will want to bring along (the voice of experience here) means that you'll be in lower gears, at a casual pace. But it's totally worth it to cycle as a family. My son's car seat was strapped into a trailer when he was only four weeks old (DO NOT TAKE THAT AS AN ENDORSEMENT!) and we rode on MUPs that were closed to motor vehicle traffic. As he got older, he was towed behind my triathlon bike and mountain bike. Twenty one years later, he's finishing his fourth year at a geek college, and gets around by bicycle.

Count the cogs on your back wheel. You should have anywhere from five to nine. That's what the bike store will need to know. Let us know if you have questions about installation.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Congrats!! That's very exciting, babies are pretty damn awesome. Mine daughter just turned one last week.

I think the kids have to be a year or so old to ride in the B.O.B. trailers. Or at least be able to wear their helmets. My daughter's helmet still fits her like a bobble head doll.

What kind of road bike are you looking at for your wife? Traditional bars or Flat bar road bike? If it is more fitness oriented riding, the flat bar road bike may be more comfortable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses and the encouragement! I Look forward to riding with the family and maybe get the kids into the sport much earlier then I did. Im not 100% what road bike I want. I was thinking for my wife of getting a flat bar one so its a little more comfortable for her. For me I was thinking the traditional bars. Definately want to get the speed thing and maybe sometime cycle in groups.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, What is the difference/benefit of the curved top tube? Growing up I always thought the curved tube is for woman. But Im seeing both now. Such as the Gravity Avenue B Road Bikes.

·
600 Posts
Gravity Avenue B Road Bike
I've looked at that bike in the past, am considering it. Pay close attention to the sizing chart when the frames are listed in cm. Don't go by the height sizing alone, but rather check your standover height.

Oh yeah - welcome! :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
The hard part about buying a used bike is finding one that fits and in my area they are expensive. I bought a GT road bike online and it rides and fits great.
I tow a trailer behind mine as well with a 3 and 6 year old girls in it, the extra 65 pounds really slows me down. My boys ride with me on bmx bikes and we can do 5 miles in an hour, it's great family fun.
Welcome to cycling and to the forum.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I very quickly became a fan of the 29er. A flat bar, fork with a lockout, and big wheels seem to be perfect for anyone wanting some speed on the street, while still being able to tackle light trails.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
You got a 29er, bet nice!

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Industry_Hack said:
First ride, and I couldn't figure out why I didn't already have one. Heck, I couldn't figure out why I didn't invent the concept.
When I've ridden the 26, whilst much snappier, it is nowhere near as smooth. Descending is more fun too. Now of if my damn Stan's wheels wood only stay indlted!

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
ALRIGHT! New Dads ROCK!

Think you understand exhaustion and self-sacrifice? Just wait! That being said, my daughter turns 3 on Labor Day (fitting, eh?) and it's a lot of fun.

I waited until my daughter was year old to ride in a Co-Pilot trailer, basically a Burley knock-off. The hitch was rather lacking, but we can discuss that another time. Sh enow rides in a WeeHoo, which kicks butt, she loves it and can pedal along with me.

That being said, I think (and my opinion is worth what you paid for it) youmight want to hold off on getting your wife a road bike for now. I did wanted to do the same with my wife, and the golden ticket ended up being a Globe Carmel 3 hybrid. She was (and is) much, much more comfortbale plus it has a much better range than a compact drivetrain. I end up pulling my daughter (which benefits me because when I am riding solo I FLY up the hills) and using my road bike (for a VERY short time) was not the brightest idea. I use my hybrid to pull her now and it works very, very well. Double-walled rims, awesome gear range and a comfy saddle all make for pleasant family trips.

Again, YMMV, IMHO, etc etc etc.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

And congrats for kicking the cig habit and kicking your butt in to gear on a bike saddle.

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
Welcome !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all! I appreciate the feedback and the encouragement. Nice forum with good people on here. I was able to score a free baby trailer from my sister so I'm pretty stoked about that. Will allow me to spend a smidge more on the bike. Although this is kind of putting the cart before the horse isnt it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the tips and info knee. I was just thinking about holding off on my wifes bike. I have a while to get that one since she's a little pregnant at the moment. She's someone who doesnt like to try new things unless i push her constantly to do it. So maybe a hybrid will be a better thing for her.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Congratz on your new baby. The guys here will set you right with advice on towing the little ones. I have a toddler seat on my wife's bike, but we are going to get a trailer as he is approaching the weight limit. That is really all the experience I can share. I would not buy the seat again and would rather have invested in the trailer right away. I almost dumped the little dude a couple of times.

BTW, Welcome!

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Thanks for the tips and info knee. I was just thinking about holding off on my wifes bike. I have a while to get that one since she's a little pregnant at the moment. She's someone who doesnt like to try new things unless i push her constantly to do it. So maybe a hybrid will be a better thing for her.

A hybrid will be a MUCH easier transition to cycling if she is a little reluctant, it will be more intuitive than a road bike with drop bars and levers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Roll_on, congrats! I love biking with my little ones. I did the tailer thing when they were young. They both started riding about 6 months old. I chose the Chairot trailer because of the suspension. Road vibrations are one of the big worries about youngsters on/in bikes. I now ride with my 1 year old on the handlebars in a Yepp Mini seat. I love having him within arms reach. He is more likely to sleep in the trailer, though. Both systems are great, it all just depends on your needs and what kind of riding you'll be doing.

Check out my website: tinyhelmetsbigbikes.com for our experiences riding as a family. Happy to help with any questions.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts