Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I all!

Just joined up and looks a great place!

I've got a cyclocross bike that I'm gradually adding road bike stuff to as other kit runs out.

I have started getting a loud clicking/rubbing noise when pedalling, it stops on free wheel. A quick look and everything looks ok, cassette is nice and tight and derailer still shifts well through all the gears... I do notice on the highest gear it feels like its grinding on the frame but I can see no damage.

Is it time to replace the pulley wheels, or the whole derailer!?

I'm also thinking of reducing the gearing as I ride only on the road now and find I'm only really using half of the cassette, it's an 8 speed at the moment, but do u need to make any changes to the hoods and derailer to say go to a 9 speed as there is much more choice then.

Any help very much appreciated!

Thanks

Matt

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Welcome, Matt! For your noise, you might be crossing your chain. That is, big ring front and big cogs on the cassette. Or small ring, small cog. A lot of times this will cause your front derailleur to rub the chain. Check that out to see if that's the source of your noise. If it's happening more that just when the chain is crossed, the front derailleur might need a little adjustment.

As far as the gearing, derailleurs are specific to the number of gears with 10 speed being the most common for road components. You will have to replace your derailleur if you go to a road group. As far as the mtn side is concerned, I'm pretty out of that anymore, so hopefully some others can assist you with the compatibility/interchange of the mtn groups.

·
Two skinny J's
21,187 Posts
Welcome Matt!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all

I think I have managed to work it out as the indexing, so will have a bash at that this morning.

If I change the derailer to a 10 speed do I need to change my 8 speed levers too?

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,136 Posts
mattsalt13 said:
Thanks all

I think I have managed to work it out as the indexing, so will have a bash at that this morning.

If I change the derailer to a 10 speed do I need to change my 8 speed levers too?
Matt,

Welcome! As I understand it, if you go to a 10-speed derailleur/gears, you'd have to upgrade to a 10-speed shifter to match.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts