New Cycling Community Website

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by ridezola, Feb 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ridezola

ridezola New Member

There is a new national cyclist community website where riders can post/view group rides in their city. It's also great for visitors from out of town to find rides. Feel free to post your club/team rides on our website. It's a great free tool to promote rides.

Here's a link to the site:
    Search, Post Group Bike Rides in Your City - RideZola Cyclist Community

Thanks,
    The Staff at RideZola

2. Doohickie

Doohickie Older than Hack

Ummmm... do ya think it's kind of rude to come into someone else's forum to recruit for your own?

3. ridezola

ridezola New Member

I was only trying to promote the website for it's group ride aspects. There is currently not a central website that lists group rides for a broad list of cities. As a bike shop veteran, former racer and cycling advocate, I saw the need for this type of site. Cyclists are always looking for group rides either in their city, or in a city that they are visiting. Until now, the only resource is to call around to local bikeshops, and sometimes come up empty handed. This site is simply a community service, and I wasn't trying to be rude or promote a forum to another forum. The forum aspect of my site is not the main intent, but only a place for discussions.

4. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

(scratching head...) How many people do you figure will watch your site waiting for someone to look them up for a ride? I mean, out of people who won't already be members of a community like this?

5. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Actually, there is already a site for that. Has been for a while now. And yes, it's very bad form to promote a site that could potentially compete for viewers.

The exception to the rule is, of course, brianforums.net ;)

6. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Hey Hack,
    Who cares. If it got something to offer then people will be interested if not they are gone.

That's how Dean got me here!

7. ridezola

ridezola New Member

I really didn't mean to cause a controversy. Thanks for your comments Burr. I researched the availability of an easy comprehensive website for easily finding and posting group rides. There wasn't one. This is an answer to the never ending quest for a group to ride, or, posting your ride tomorrow. I go out and do 5 hours one day a week, and that can be a lonely ride. I like to go slow on my long days, and it would be good to find other people who might be interested in doing a long day with random pointless conversation. People come here on business and call around to the bikeshops to find rides. This is just a central place where people can find/post rides. Thats all. This forum we're on, and others like it are great. They were built in the same spirit as the postings page that I built. For the love of cycling and to network people like us. I'm a website developer. I have thought about this site for a long time, and have slowly put it together on time between projects. I never intended to step on peoples toes, nor to take people away from awesome forums like this one. Just wanted to build a place where anyone can find a ride. A site like this will only work if people post their rides. If nobody posts or goes to the site, it will work itself out of the picture. Nothing lost, no hard feelings. It was built in a easy to use, easy to post way. Nothing more, nothing less. Use it if you like, don't if you don't want to.

8. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Usually frown on people promoting here esp. not even being an established member but good luck with the site! Love to see more cyclists meeting up.

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Welcome thanks for the link!

10. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Remember Dean, You got me off that Newsgroup List Rec Cycling

11. Doohickie

Doohickie Older than Hack

I realize that and figured that was the case, but yeah, it is kind of cyber-rude. You wouldn't walk into an Italian restaurant and say, "Hey we got great Greek food across the street!" would you? It's a similar situation.

I think it's because it is best handled on a local basis. Most of the group rides are organized through clubs and shops and they already have their own forums and websites; the people from the area that want to ride can find them easily enough either through word of mouth or through Google. I know you think you came up with a great idea, but I just don't think there is a pressing need to have a central repository of something that is of local interest.

12. baj32161

baj32161 American Expatriate Tavern Member

....Nothing there for me anyway as I live in Canada.