New entry in the Tour d France

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by photosbymark, Apr 1, 2011.

1. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

New team America to enter the tour, but a team like no other ever to compete. It will feature riders that are required to build up their bike based on scrap vintage bikes, department store bikes, and highly modified stock bikes.

The purpose of this team is to test new ideas and technology that could apply to all purpose bike of the future. One unnamed source from a well known manufacturer was overheard to have said, "If we race what we sell, everything gets better."

Yet there have been some very unique ideas branded about. One is the brand new concept of the dual chain. Unlike the conventional bike, this bike has a chain, chain ring and cassette on each side of the bike mounted to the same cranks and bottom bracket. The left side of the bike is geared and specifically designed to enhance climbing. The right side drive train is designed for the high speed sections on the road to maximize top end speed. A patented gearing system allows on to switch from one drive train to the other with the click of a switch.

The test rider, a 19 year old French woman that logs hundreds of miles each month, gave this bike its first test ride in Arizona. At first glance her reaction was, "I've never seen anything this before." After riding though she commented, " I have never ridden a bike anything like this before. This will take an adjustment period to take full advantage of what this bike has to offer." An industry writer was far more blunt. "I'd hack it up with a hack saw."

Time will tell if this new team is competitive, but one thing is for sure. This years event will definitely be one to remember.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

3. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Just in case someone didn't catch on,,,, April fools

4. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

lol... i was like what the heck :confused: until the part about the super sexy young girl with the amazing personality and striking smile who rides like an animal:p.... or however you described me.

5. Industry_Hack

So modest...

6. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

i do my best which is above average, generally excelling in most areas including but not limited to general awesomeness and of course humility/modesty! :p

7. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

I couldn't have said all that and still called it an April Fools joke. Would have been too much in it that was true. Would a bike with two separate drive trains that could be selected with a flick of a switch been enough bull to still qualify as an April Fools joke?

Just out of curiosity do the rules of the tour let you change out different components during the race to optimize the bike for a given stage or day, or must you declare the components you are going to run and run the entire race with starting set up.

8. Industry_Hack

Bikes are swapped out as needed, as far as I know. I don't think they do their climbs on the same bike they use on time trials.

9. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

It would be interesting to see what they would come up with if they had to declare a configuration, and live with it for the entire race.